Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle goes up and down

1996 Corsica 3.1L V6

During startup only and before touching gas pedal. The engine idle goes up and down once you tap the accelerator the engine idle perfect. This is an intermittent problem. Any ideas?

Bill

dads car did some weird crap for a while. is it throwing codes? the ses light on?
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

no check engine light

Comment

For a while, my engine would idle very high (more than a normal cold weather high idle) and would not come down until after I drove it for a little while. I had the computer reflashed and it took care of it. Have you checked your IAC and TPS sensors?

Comment

i think there was something about the evaporative valve was sticking in his car, or venting at the wrong time,something you wouldnt normaly think of. he re-flashed and it was fine.

but one time i worked on a honda civic that idled really wierd, reved up to like 2500rpms over and over, it was just low on coolant. isnt that gay?
          If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Any other ideas? I think it might need the TB cleaned does anyone have information on cleaning them properly.

1996 3.1L V6 Corsica

Comment

Remove it from the plenum, take out the IAC and TPS, and the butterfly plate. Then go nuts with carb or throttle body cleaner. Make sure your IAC and TPS are still in good operating condition.

Comment

How do I check to see if IAC and TPS is working condition?

Comment

Take the IAC out of the TB, but leave it plugged into the harness. Have someone turn the key to the "On" position and see if the pintle moves freely. For the TPS, you will need a multimeter. You can probe the wires and see if the reading on the multimeter matches what the specs should be. Obviously, you will need the specs also (which I do not know off the top of my head).

Comment

Where could you send me for the specs? Is there a place on the web?

Comment

Working...
                    X