Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing mtr in 96 Monte Carlo...

Guys,
    I tried to search for this but didn't find an answer. I have a bad 3100 mtr (no oil pressure and 200,000 miles). I found a good used 3100 in the wrecking yard today, and I'm almost finished pulling out the old one. I saw something mentioned about bypassing the throttle body coolant lines, but I'm not familiar with this.
    Quest 1:Can I bypass the two coolant lines going into the throttle body when I put in the other mtr?
    Quest 2: If I bypass the two lines can I just run a coolant hose from the heater core to the frt water pump housing?
    I'm just wondering because when doing any type of maint to the mtr, that metal coolant line is a pain in the rear! I just figured I'd take care of that problem while installing the mtr. I don't care about the performance gain if any, but two hose clamps instead of replacing o-rings and removing all the air intake equip would be great, any info appreciated.

pull a the line off a 95 monte. it doesnt have the coolent line boss' so there is no bypass needed.

if your going to bypass yours, all you need to do is run a piece of tube from one outlet to the other and never run it to the TB.

HTH

Comment

Germ,
      I'm assuming your telling me there will be no ill effects from this modification? I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible, as this is my wifes car, thanks.

Comment

Let me change my last response. I don't want to plug the two lines, or connect them....I WANT to do away with the metal line and run a rubber coolant hose from the firewall to the front of the mtr at the water pump. I wanted to cut off the metal hose past the water pump housing and then attach the maybe 3' rubber coolant hose to the pipe.
        I probably didn't make that as clear as I needed to. My mind is clearer than my fingers can type! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by TRayford
          Germ,
          I'm assuming your telling me there will be no ill effects from this modification? I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible, as this is my wifes car, thanks.
          i did it on my monte with no ill effects it really serves no purpose unless u live in canada and it gets really cold even then it doesnt do much

1996 Monte Carlo LS 3100 engine, 1/4 16.131 *RIP
          88 cuttlass supreme 2.8L coupe
          90 dodge daytona 3.0 v6

Comment

Working...
          X