Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NooB Help on a 3.1L ignition

Hello all!

I am totally out of my element working on American Metal, so I could really use some of your knowlege.

I was a Factory Porsche Tech, so I know German metal, and can diag issues.

Here's my scenerio: A friends 91 Pontiac 6000 LE 3.1L died while driving...car has fuel, but no spark; it cranks, but won't run.

I have no techanical data to diag the ignition system, or how it interfaces with the ECU...ANYhelp or links to tech specs would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

First check would be on the crankshaft position sensor. It is in the bottom of the block on the firewall side. It is a 2 wire sensor right smack in the middle of the block on the lower half. Pull it out and check for cracks. Often it fails and breaks rendering it useless.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

^what he said.

Basically the crank sensor tells the ECM when the #1 is at TDC, then the ECM fires the coils correspondingly. So, if the crank sensor is bad, you wont have spark at all
      Robby Whitesell
      2006 Pontiac G6 GT
      1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

what values should I see from the CPS????

Comment

Um I think it makes a square wave signal through the hall effects switch. But just pull it out (1 bolt and 1 wire clip) and check it.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yeah, square wave makes sense. If you check all 6 wires and they all arent getting any spark, I'd say its bad
            Robby Whitesell
            2006 Pontiac G6 GT
            1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Working...
            X