setting timing on 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting timing on 3.1

While changing the plugs wires, etc. last time, I was going to check the timing. Hooked up the timing light and found the mark on the damper. But there isn't a scale of any kind on the timing chain cover! Now what do I do? I really need to pull the distributor and replace the o-ring, but don't want to do that until I can set the timing. This is on a '93 FWD 3.1L in a Pontiac Trans Sport.
    \'87 Camaro, 2.8L (rebuilt), TH700R4, Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat, 3.42 rear end
    \'93 Pontiac Trans Sport, 3.1L TBI, K&N air filter, 212000 miles

are there timing marks on the crank pully
    I Like V660s
    Does Chevy make beer
    ~Jayme~

Comment

No. No timing marks other than a notch in the damper that shows up with the timing light hooked up to #1 plug wire. The pulley is part of the damper. There is what looks like an arrow molded into the timing chain cover. But no other marks there. (If my GF hadn't lost the cable for the digital camera I'd take a picture)
      \'87 Camaro, 2.8L (rebuilt), TH700R4, Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat, 3.42 rear end

Comment

I honestly cant remember what there should be down there as per marks.

Its been ages since i've worked on the old Iron headed 3.1's in those vans....
        Colin
        92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
        90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

I thought there were marks on teh block beside the timing cover.......but I cant remember, that maybe how my dad's toyota is done......
          Robby Whitesell
          2006 Pontiac G6 GT
          1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

If there is no pointer your screwed. You may need to make a TDC mark and get a timing tape or something. The idea is that the engine NEVER needs to be adjusted. And really it does not for normal operation.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Well...if it never needs to be adjusted, I'll just assume where it is now is the correct timing and mark the cover, so when I pull the distributor to cure my oil leak I'll be able to set it back correctly.

Comment

Oh thats the problem. Ok well somewhere there should be a TDC mark. Even if there is no pointer. Or else just use a sharpie and mark the block and then mark the dizzy aswell.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                X