howling with 1994 grand prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howling with 1994 grand prix

i cant remember how long its been doing this but whenever my car is at idle, i can hear a howling sound coming from the motor. i also get the same sound if i take a sharp corner quickly. the other week it seemed to happen more often and louder when i was low on gas. but i dont know why it would do it with a full tank of gas sitting at idle. please help me if you can.
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1L

Check all the fluid levels.
    I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

any specific ones? i thought that it might be the bearings on the water pump that are causing the noise?

Comment

Watch the pump when running -- sometimes a worn one will allow the pulley to move toward/away from the housing during operation.. also take the belt off and see if you can get the pulley to move by hand any way other than in a circle. Maybe stick a beaker bar on the water pump housing and listen to the end of it to help locate the howl.

Comment

I was thinking along the line of a Power steering pump.

Trannies can howl but also slip if making this noise.

A water pump will screech, and sounds like shaft wearing on a siezed bearing. The pump will also fail to circulate fluid if the shaft breaks which doesn't take much at all to do that.
          I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

well, i have had problems with both my power steering and transmission lately too. i posted a thread in the transmission section about my problems.

Comment

Working...
            X