10,000 Miles on AMSOil - Lab Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10,000 Miles on AMSOil - Lab Results

Some of you may remeber I decided to see how long high grade race oil really lasts. To that end I picked up a case of AMSOil 5w30 and 5 AMSOil filters. I have not changed the oil since I put it in (now 11,000 miles). I changed the filter at 5,000 miles and topped off the oil as neccassary.

At 10,000 miles I changed the filter again and before I changed the filter I took a sample and sent it off to Oil Analyzers inc to see the condition of the oil after 10,000 miles.

Here are the results:

Miles on Engine: 64,000
    Miles on Oil: 10,000

Iron: 14
    Chromium: 0
    Lead: 4
    Copper: 25
    Tin: 0
    Aluminum: 3
    Nickel: 11
    Silver: 0
    Silicon: 26
    Boron: 23
    Sodium: 20
    Magnesium: 463
    Calcium: 2981
    Barium: 0
    Phosphorus: 1096
    Zinc: 1281
    Molybdenum: 8
    Titanium: 0
    Vandium: 0
    Potassium: 0

Fuel (% by vol): <1%
    Vis @ 40C: N/A
    Vis @ 100C: 10.84 (SAE Grade 30 min 9.3, max 12.5)
    Water (% by vol): 0%
    Soot/Solids: N/A
    Glycol: Negative

TBN: 8.9 (Oil should be changed at a TBN of around 2)
    OXID: 14.0
    NITR: 13.0
    Change: No

Analysis Recommendations: No corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval.

Im curious to know if anyone else has done any testing of thier oil on the 3400. I would like to find out if the Zinc and Calcium levels in particular are normal as they seem a little high. If they arent normal, any idea as to the cause?

1995 Monte Carlo LS
    3400 SFI 60v6
    FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

"TBN: 8.9 (Oil should be changed at a TBN of around 2)" What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by dykz34
      "TBN: 8.9 (Oil should be changed at a TBN of around 2)" What does that mean?
      TBN is Total Base Number, as oil is used this number decreases, from my research oil is no longer useful at TBNs of 2 or less.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
      3400 SFI 60v6

Comment

Ahh, okay. I thought it was 2 or higher...

BTW, I changed out my AMSOIL today after 1 year/9,000 miles. In my 143k 3.4L DOHC motor, it came out looking just like a regular oil change. IE: it was dark, but not any darker than normal. I didn't know I was supposed to change the filter every 6 months/5,000 miles.... so this was all on one filter.

I was pleased with what came out.

Comment

nice, you dont have to change the filter that often, I just figured 5,000 was a good point to change since from what I have learned the life of the oil is greatly determined by how well impurities are filtered out. I could prob bump it up more. Ive even thought about adding a 2nd filter bypass to the system.

I plan to test again at around 20,000 miles since AMSOil advertises 25k miles on this oil. I drive alot, I started this back at the end of July

1995 Monte Carlo LS
          3400 SFI 60v6

Comment

I did some reading about AMSOIL products a few months back. They reccomend a drain interval of 1yr or 25,000 miles. Thats pretty good. Its expensive, but if you've only got to change it once a year, you pay what $55 - $60? And to change regular oil every three months is about $20 each time. So you save $20 - $25 using synthetic, plus its providing much better protection against wear. They also have oil bypass filters that filter out particles as small as 1 micron. That virtually eliminates engine wear. Another interesting product is their oil precharger kit. It basically forces half a quart of oil through the engines main oil passages before you start the car. When I get my dodge running again im gonna get one.
            1989 Chevy Corsica LTZ
            2.8L 60° v6
            5 speed

Comment

Ive been thinking about the bypass and prechargers, espically with winter coming and the increased strain the cold puts on the oil. Havent really decided yet though. Ill most likely hit 20k miles by the end of november or early december unless the snow is bad enough to really kill my driving around like I do now.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
              3400 SFI 60v6

Comment

Why do you drive so much?!?

Comment

How accurate is this test since engines vary in blow by amount. The oil never breaks down, just the additives.
                  1992 Chevrolet S10
                  2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

thats why its important to test your own engine as you cant go so much off the results of someone else, however even with differences in blow by similar engines should exhibit somewhat similar results usings a high grade syn and filter. I knew it was a stab in the dark to find out as I doubt there have been enough people with the 3400 who have done what I am doing to see if my results are average or not. Hopefully my testing will encourge some other people to try the same and get some testing done as well.

I drive alot because I love to ;also MyMonte.com does quite a few meets each year (I think our count this year has been about 12 with 2 being major meets one with a turnout of over 50 members) being the owner I try to show up at as many events as possible to help promote the club. I also get a kick out of meeting everyone. I also tend to take off on a 500-900mile road trips about once a month or so just to get away. In the evenings sometimes I get bored and just like to cruise down the highway or remote country roads listening to XM and just enjoying the ride.

I also hit the track quite often and will hike 3+ hours to get to a good track. Of course all the unexpected things that happen on trips like that really adds to the mileage.

Last October when I put in my 3400 my odo read 98,xxx and some change. Today it reads over 143k and it hasnt quite been a full year yet (2 more weeks).

I normally hit the gas station 2-3 times a week and durning the summer it was not uncommon for me to have to change my oil every 3-4 weeks which was one of my main motivators for trying to see how far I can really push my oil.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
                    3400 SFI 60v6

Comment

Europe has been running 10,000 mile oil changes for years. Grade of oil and filtration is the determining factor.

Soon europe will be seeing a "closed hood" car. Where oil will not have to be changed for 100,000 kms. The oil system will be dry sump and oil will pass through a mini treatement plant. It will be spun through a centrifuge and passed through a ceramic filter (like ones used on water purifiers) Oil coming out of the treatement will be almost as good as new. Lasting for 100,000kms. The only requirement will be that you top off the system once and a while. All cars will consume some oil as no pistion rings are a 100% seal.
                      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Damn you have guts for running 3.4 dohc oil for that long. I RELIGIOUSLY change my Mobil 1 every 3k for fear of another bearing spinning round and round.

Comment

You can't contribute your spun rod bearing(s) to your oil...

Plus, he's running a 3400.

Comment

Working...
                          X