Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP OIL GUAGE ON ZERO AT IDLE!!!!!

"89 2.8L
    Ive got a real problem here. I was sitting at the wendys drive through tonight, and I noticed my oil pressure guage slowly dropping down. It would kinda fluctuate up, down, up, down, it did it fairly quickly but each time it went down it would go down further, and when it went up it didnt go up as high as the previous time. It did this for two - three minutes while I was waiting for my food and freakin out the whole time. I was listening to the sound of the engine bouncing off the brick wall of the buliding and it sounded just fine. Just like it always does. So I drive it home and it sits at about 40 psi, except for when I stop of course, where it just drops straight back to zero. So I get home (maybe a mile away) it did fine the whole way home, I cutit off and wait a few minutes, check the oil and its got plenty of it. Its dirty cuz it need to be changed but its almost at the top of the crosshatch area on the dipstick. So I look down into the opening where the oil cap is. Can see one of the rocker arms and theres plenty of oil there. So I start it up and watch, it seems fine to me, still sounds just like it always does. Rev the gas a few times and watch the guage pick up to about 40 psi and drop right back to zero. I duno if its the gauge the sender or the pump. Is ther a way to test the pump? When it cools off im gonna pull the valve cover and start it to see if it flings oil everywhere. I duno waht the hel to think here. Any help is much appreciated. HELP, PLEASE!!
    1989 Chevy Corsica LTZ
    2.8L 60° v6
    5 speed

change the oil and throw some lucas oil stabalizer in. the oil will thin out with age and give low oil pressure. i use the lucas oil stabalizer evey oil change. it works real well to protect the engine and its real think, so i never have oil pressure problems due to the oil thinning out.

Comment

Sounds like the sending unit is going bad, happened to my 89 Sunbird 2.0L. Gauge acted like yours, fine while running and zero when idling.
      Jason
      2007 Pontiac Torrent AWD
      R.I.P.-2001 Grand Am GT Coupe 9/03 - 7/07
      R.I.P.-1989 Sunbird Coupe 4/89 - 9/03 (248,575 miles)

Comment

I took a look at it this morning. I think its the wiring...

Looks like im gonna have to hit up the local JY tomorrow afternoon.
        1989 Chevy Corsica LTZ
        2.8L 60° v6
        5 speed

Comment

Working...
        X