Rev Limiter Kicking In @ 2800RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev Limiter Kicking In @ 2800RPM

What would cause the Rev Limiter on a 3.1 to kick in at 2800RPM? It has a random stalling problem. And after it stalls for about the next 50 start-ups it will not idle, period. It will run as long as you have your foot on the gas, but will not idle at all, in drive or otherwise. It will not coast in drive either when moving.

The ICM is only 2 years old, and the CPS is like only 2 or 3 months old.

Engine only has about 75k miles on it. Dunno if the sensors are older the CAR has 140k, the dealer replaced (not rebuilt) the engine when we bought it in '98, it had like 65k miles. No weird noises coming from the engine.

Another symptom (don't know if it's related or not): Sometimes when turning over the engine, it will only crank once, then stop. You try to turn the key again, only cranks once, then stops. Eventualy it starts but takes like 10 tries.

The rev limiter kicks in in drive or in Neutral, I know it's supposed to kick in early when in park or neutral, but it's also kicking in in drive.
    --Rob
    Currently attending Wyotech, Fremont, CA. Start Date: 1.24.05. Grad. Date: 4.21.06
    1992 Chevy Lumina Z34 5 Speed FOR SALE $1400 AS IS RUNS WELL

I was thinking, the tranny is slipping (acting like it's in neutral when in drive at a stop). You have to shift into neutral then into drive. Could that be causing the odd limiter behaviour?
    --Rob
    Currently attending Wyotech, Fremont, CA. Start Date: 1.24.05. Grad. Date: 4.21.06

Comment

Bump. I need help please. Otherwise it's going to the shop to get diagnosed, I have no time these days to diagnose problems, only fix the problem once I know what it is.
      --Rob

Comment

for the stalling problem check out your IAC even if the "check engine" doesn't appear, it can be defective.

Second, for the "kick" at 2800 RPM, perhaps the EPROM can be faulty.

But i suggest you to look at your IAC sensor

good luck

Comment

Are the IAC's from the DOHC and the 3.1 interchangeable? I have a spare from my DOHC that is good.

I'm gonna have to take this stupid thing to the shop, aren't I? To have them... computize... the computer...

I think I invented a new word there...
          --Rob

Comment

Yes, you can swap the IAC out with the one from the DOHC. I have no clue on the rev limiter kicking in at 2800 though, and the IAC isn't going to do anything with that.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

it's probably your ignition module than computer sorry i didnt read than you already changed it

Comment

Yeah I didn't think the IAC would cause that problem.

Has anyone ever experienced the crossover pipe (between the front and rear manifolds) imploding or becomming plugged? I swear I think that is the problem, but I can't get the fucking bolts off because they are so difficult to get to.
                --Rob

Comment

I really doubt that is the problem. Its a pipe, not a cat or muffler.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah, but I've heard the GM uses double walled pipes, and that they can implode when they get really old. My shop teacher said he's seen them implode due to vaccuum when his friend was flooring it and then let off the gas real quick, the vaccuum sucked the inner walls down, and the car wouldn't rev about 2000RPM.

Also note about my car, when it hits the "limiter" the engine shakes REAL hard. Runs perfect up to about 3000 though.
                    --Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X