Coolant in the oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant in the oil.

Can anyone describe what coolant in the oil looks like or tell me how to tell if it is mixing in there?

I have a freshly rebuilt 3.1 and I have done my break-in oil changes and my oil is light brown with dark swirls in it. If that makes sense. I have read on here about white gunk and white smoke, I do not have any of those but this oil has me a bit concerned. I figure it is just assembly lube mixing in but it has been about 200 miles now and it still is coming out the same.

Thanks

coolant + oil is the color of milk chocolate and is opaque, where as just oil is some what translucent. Can you take a pic of some on your dipstick?
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

hmmm the white smoke is cause when coolant gets into the cylinders during combustion. take your rad cap off and let the car run and get hot and watch the water circulate when it gets hot is u see white chunks like some1 is having fun with your rad when u aren't looking then that is oil in the coolant.

your oil shouldn't be swirly, it should be one color, but that might be the breakin lubre like u say i am not sure. when u 1st pop the drain plug is when the watered down oil comes out 1st, so that is when u check it. also when the last bits of oil are coming out it will fall out in chunks, like tapioka.

hope that helps but i am sure some other more experienced peeps know some tricks too.
      The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

thanks for the help guys, I do not see any white "fun" chunks in the coolant I have been keeping a close eye on that. I figured that if coolant can mix in with oil the I may be able to see oil in the coolant resvoir. Nothing but clean anitfreeze. I wish I could take a pic of the oil but I don't have the equipment.

Another thing that I think that in might be is the coating or material off from the cam. I bought a replacement from sealed power (fed mogul) and only the big round journals were polished. I took acetone to one of the lobes to see if the junk would come off and it did lighten but would not come off completly. So that is another possiblity.

Oh well it is not causing any issues yet I was just curious what that scenario looked like because I have never seen it.

Thanks again

Comment

You will know it for sure. When you drain oil from a pan with water in it you will see water drain out first, then an oil/water emulsion and then finally oil.

Swirls are NOT water. Water never looks like that in oil. What you are seeing is the product of break in. It will go away.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I have a feeling it is the overlay material on the rod and main bearings. I tore it sown last night and the center bearing are down to the bronze after 300 miles.

Lesson learned: always plastigage!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X