need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help!

hey GPXSS,i found out why my lumina overheated,the electric fans cut out(dont know why,it wasnt the relay) but,unfortunately,after going against your advice and getting a $45 junkyard radiator(its all i could afford) i found out, damage was done when it overheated,upon startup i saw a little mist comeout of the exhaust,and assumed i had a bad headgasket,i found pieces of gasket in the radiator 3 days later and since then the car STILL runs(ive put 800 miles on it since it happened,but when i start it u hear a loud shhhhhh,like pressure releasing(i was told i have a cracked head) but to the point,ever since then the car runs great when i first start it when its cold,it will run great for about 5 minutes,then it sputters when i floor it,and when im really getting into it,i smell a electrical burning smell,from under the hood,also it now make a HIGH pitched electrical noise at ALL times in the car(i think i need a new computer) anyway im rebuilding the engine,and was wondering if ANYONE could hint as to what all these problems are?? thanks a lot(sorry again for how long this is!)

The electrical smell and the high pitched wine is probabally your alternator. Turn the car on and listen for the wine. Take off the clip on plug that is on the alternator. If the noise stops then your rectifier is hooped. Get a new alt or find the replacement parts and fix it. GM says it is non servicable but that is not really true.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Almost all alts are rebuildable...

Non-serviceable means that most of the components inside the alts must be replaced as a whole and arn't 'servicable' to the component level.
      I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Working...
      X