Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 1991 Chevy Lumina 3.1 stalling hot

Hello all,

I'm on here trying to find out what might be going on with a family members 91 Lumina.

Over the past year the following has been replaced.

Full Exhaust System plus cat.

EGR

Plugs

Wires

Fuel Pump

Fuel Filter

and a few other things.

At this point the car runs fine till you get on the freeway, after driving on the freeway for a few the car will stall at the exit ramp and not restart for 5 to 10mins.

Oddly it only stalls at the exit ramp, if you keep it at speed no problem just after it's come to a stop.

I have been told this could be the T.C.C., IGN system and a number of other things but I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I start trouble shooting.

Thanks.

No one has even a thought?

Comment

ICM is my guess.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

is it a 3 or 4 speed trans?
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
          ICM is my guess.
          When it comes to the ICM any ideas on testing it before buying a new one?

I guess I could try and get a used one from a scrap yard for testing.

As for the trans, if I recall it's a 4 speed with the O.D. but I'll give them a call to be 100% on that.

Comment

More updates....

The car it turns out does not have the O.D. so it's a three speed.

Also, it turns out they replaced the ICU last month.

So crap.

Comment

being the 3T40, it could be the TCC solenoid getting stuck.... i would expect it to be able to restart almost immediately though.

does it refuse to crank or does it just not fire?
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Okay, I just had him one the phone and this is what it's doing.

After it stalls if you put the car in park it will restart, after it's running if you put it in drive it will stall unless you let it cool.

Comment

i'd unplug the main trans connector then.... worst-case, he'll have TCC disabled(though still have 3rd gear), but it shouldn't cause any more of this crap.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

The 3t is not ecm controlled, but the tcc in it is. Try unplugging the harness for the trans before it gets to stalling temp and drive it till the point where it normally stalls. My bet is it will not stall because the tcc solenoid is not sticking.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I'll give that a try and see what happens.

If he puts the car in park and starts it up it will idle all day with no stall same with driving around in town it simply does it when the car is on the freeway and coming to a stop.

I'll also see if the trans has ever had a fluid change, chances are it has not so that's not helping.

Thanks for the ideas and I'll keep it updated.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                        The 3t is not ecm controlled, but the tcc in it is. Try unplugging the harness for the trans before it gets to stalling temp and drive it till the point where it normally stalls. My bet is it will not stall because the tcc solenoid is not sticking.

Hello all,

I wanted them to give the car a week of driving before I reported in but Unplugging the TCC fixed the problem.

The car is running really nicely now.

Thanks a ton!

Comment

Originally posted by FSP93 View Post
                          Hello all,

I wanted them to give the car a week of driving before I reported in but Unplugging the TCC fixed the problem.

The car is running really nicely now.

Thanks a ton!
                          Good deal

You could pull the side pan on the trans and replace the solenoid to get TCC lockup to engage again, otherwise highway mileage will go down.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                            Good deal

You could pull the side pan on the trans and replace the solenoid to get TCC lockup to engage again, otherwise highway mileage will go down.

I had brought that up to them the other day, the owner retires next month so I don't know if he will drive as much or at all after. After he retires we might do it for the heck of it.

At least you can access this one, the one on my STS Caddy was more or less a no go. ha

Comment

I know it's doable on the 4t60-e, but with the side pan to frame rail clearance I think you have to drop the drivers side of the subframe. I would hope the 3t60 would be a bit smaller and easier to get to.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X