Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest revision on rocker and cam gear torque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Latest revision on rocker and cam gear torque?

Should I use the 14 foot-pounds plus 30 degrees specification for the rocker arms on a 1995 3100?

I've read there's a TSB for a revised tightening procedure for the camshaft sprocket on the 3100 and that there's two types of cam gear that were used, one with a single bolt and one with three small bolts. Can't find the actual TSB anywhere, just its number and name. 476148 JAN 95 Timing Chain and Sprocket - Revised Installation

I'm working on a 1995 Buick Century with only 67K on the odometer. The engine has the dreaded piston slap. It's so bad the knock sensor makes it retard the timing to the point where it has no power and overheats.

A GM dealer service manager said that if I was the original owner and if I'd always had the car dealer serviced or if I had receipts from oil change shops, GM *might* bump up the engine mileage warranty and help me out.

But I'm second owner (bought it 4 years ago with only 45K!) and no service records came with it. I change my own oil. So, GM makes a tetchy engine and I'm SOL.

I found an engine from another 95 Century with only 66K. Bought a $100 borescope from Home Depot (on sale from almost $200) and had a look inside. CLEAN! Clean everywhere. Nice shiny cylinder walls and hardly any carbon on the piston tops.

I'm going to replace the water pump (spins too easily and I hear same noise with a stethoscope that I do from the pump in the car), thermostat, front cover seal and rear main seal. While the front cover's off I'll check out the timing chain etc. and replace if needed.

The place I got the engine from took off just about everything, including the lifting brackets, spark plugs and the EGR valve, didn't even leave the dipstick in. They did got to a lot of effort cleaning and painting it, even removed the water pump pulley and some other bits to paint black, shot it silver then masked off the block to paint it black. I'd have told them not to paint if they'd mentioned that was included in the cleaning and preparation!
Working...
X