Knock and Low Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock and Low Oil Pressure

I just replaced my lower intake gaskets on my 94 achieva 3100. prior to this, there was no knock and oil pressure stayed around 40 PSI, regardless of RPMs. afterwards, i now have a top end knock and oil pressure @ idle is around 10-15 PSI and sometimes drops into the low warning area. pressure also now rises and falls with RPM. i ripped it all apart, looking for screw ups on my part, and everthing looks as it should. thinking maybe the oil filter was restricting flow, i changed the oil and filter for a second time. still have the same problems. any ideas what the hell happened or how to fix my problems? btw, it just turned 176k miles and she's running strong otherwise.
    1994 Oldsmobile Achieva (2002 3100 SFI)
    Homemade ram-effect CAI
    K&N cylinder filter
    Poorboy Lowering Kit
    Front STB

Why did you replace the gaskets? Was there coolant leaking into the oil? If so I would have to suspect that the damage was already done to the motor.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

engine has 117k on it. i know it's a problem area on the 3x00s and thought it was causing a performance problem that i miss-diagnosed. turns out the IAC and it's port needed cleaned. anyways, i've noticed that i have almost normal oil pressure upon cold start up. but it goes down as the engine heats up. also, i lose performance as the engine heats up.
      finally, oil pressure does increase as i accelerate, but can get dangerously low sittin at a stop light.
      Homemade ram-effect CAI
      K&N cylinder filter
      Poorboy Lowering Kit
      Front STB

Comment

Sounds like there may have been some prior damage. If bearing clearances are too high then it would cause both your knocking and low pressure.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

117 thou, or 176 thou? Low oil pressure and knock ain't good. Even if it has 10 miles on it. Either way,...Knock is bad. Damage is done.
          If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
          sigpic

Comment

oops, 177k on the engine.
            Homemade ram-effect CAI
            K&N cylinder filter
            Poorboy Lowering Kit
            Front STB

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
              Sounds like there may have been some prior damage. If bearing clearances are too high then it would cause both your knocking and low pressure.
              I agree. Time for teardown. Find out what damage is there. I suspect rods first, since it is a high RPM. Mains knock all the time. I suspect you rolled a rod bearing.
              If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
              sigpic

Comment

well, if that's the case....i'm gonna have to just beat the piss out of it. i don't have ANY money to do repairs on it. and if i were to dig in that deeply, i would just assume to rebuild or replace it.
                Homemade ram-effect CAI
                K&N cylinder filter
                Poorboy Lowering Kit
                Front STB

Comment

Crank kits are cheaper than a rebuild. Doesn't mean a lot of money. Time maybe...
                  sigpic

Comment

still, i don't have the money for that. i need to sell my mustang before i can do anything. and if it sells for enough, i'd rather just buy a complete 3400 and do the swap, or find someone whom will trade....mustang for a complete 3400!
                    Homemade ram-effect CAI
                    K&N cylinder filter
                    Poorboy Lowering Kit
                    Front STB

Comment

i'll give ya a complete 30k miles 2001 3100 for a mustang

actually not, mustang2's are fugly.

Comment

well this one is fuglier. the car itself is in bad shape. however, it has a fresh 302 stroker w/ roller cam conversion and 760 Holley double pumper, and fresh AOD tranny.
                        Homemade ram-effect CAI
                        K&N cylinder filter
                        Poorboy Lowering Kit
                        Front STB

Comment

Working...
                        X