Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Well I want to add a mechanical gauge to my 03 Grand Am. What size socket do I need to take off the stock oil pressure switch?? Thanks guys.
    2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
    -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
    -Flowmaster 80
    -Brembo Brakes

This tool is number one on the runway for this job. It has two means of control; the standard 3/8" drive port...and a "SparkPlug"-like (just a friendly pun and play on words intended here...) Hex Nut shaped upper portion that can be manipulated in places where a ratchet may be impractical and yet a small, adjustable Crescent Wrench will fit nicely and make the damned thing turn in and out over the sensor... which, by the way... needs a delicate touch and some patience because they can be a real bear to install and un-install because of the robust, hardened factory thread sealer on the upper threads. Too much yanking around when doing this can snap the body of the sensor right off of its base. You can find these reasonably priced and available via eBay. Here is the page listing quite a few vendors:

Get the best deals for Lisle 13250 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

As for the Mechanical side of this build, this SunPro 0-100 PSI Analogue Oil Pressure Gauge and Hardware available from AutoZone will more than fit the bill of what is required to make it all work... Just be sure to add some ARP Thread SEALER (NOT THREAD-LOCKER) and you will have everything you need. If you have to route the slender copper oil transfer tube through the maize behind and through the engine compartment Firewall...First...Disconnect the Battery Negative Terminal and then...Do a careful dry run with a Flexible Coat Hanger to probe and run your tubing route and ensure that you won't destroy your only tubing by an accidental kink or worse... accidentally trigger your SIRS or Air-bag Module(s) and make one hell of mess. During the final install ...this part requires more patience and delicacy in how you push or pull the tube around and through any obstruction and arrive where you want the gauge mounted on, in or near the dashboard inside the vehicle. It would be very advisable to have one man under the hood and one inside the car/truck looking at things with a decent flash light or drop light and working together so as not to FUBAR the tube or make contact with anything electrical or electronic under the dash... remembering that this copper tube will conduct electricity wayyy too good to turn it loose and run rampant around an All-Electrical -- All Electronic Environment! To solve this problem, some clever mechanics like sliding a sleeve of Electrically Protective Heat/Shrink-Wrap over the tube once it makes it through the Firewall and this action gives them some extra "Piece" of Mind. This stuff is available in lengthy rolls at Radio Shack and has more uses than you can point a Multi-Meter's Probe at!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-26-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips man. I have a Sunpro gauge but it came with the a nylon plastic hose. I might have to get some more because I don't think 6' is long enough! I think Sears has them, I'm going to check tomorrow.
        2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
        -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
        -Flowmaster 80
        -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Auto Zone carries a separate Nylon and separate Copper line kit with additional Brass Fittings (See Attached Image). You might consider a hybrid set-up here... with the copper tubing used in the hot and hectic engine compartment leading up to a handmade bracket that allows the metal tube to connect to one side...and then use the nylon white tubing from the Firewall in to the interior dashboard arrangement. You just need a single Male-2-Male adapter for the end caps that has an interior threaded portion that supports flange nuts capable of locking down the fitting inside of that hand-made support bracket... I know...I'm making it sound more complicated than it really is...but you get the idea.

The one thing that will be necessary is to have a series of a few coils adjacent the engine connection side and a few near the Firewall Bracket to act as a kind of Shock Absorber so the tendency of the motor to rock back and forth during periods of greater or lesser RPM and the associated torque because if the copper tubing is too restricted...all of that motion will eventually work harden the copper metal to the point of cracking or breaking open. It might be a little inconvenient if an oil leak happened inside the car... but if it happened inside the engine bay... a stream of high pressure, volatile engine oil squirting on the red-hot exhaust system might start one hell of a fire that could ruin everything... not to mention the occupants of the vehicle.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I think I should have went with the copper tubing. I had the nylon come out of the engine and my dumb ass only a few miles from home tried to get it home. I spun the #4 bearing. $617 later I have an 05 motor with 37,000 miles in the her. Is it possible to use the 3.5 oil filter adapter on the 3400?
            2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
            -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
            -Flowmaster 80
            -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Originally posted by sparkplug View Post
              I think I should have went with the copper tubing. I had the nylon come out of the engine and my dumb ass only a few miles from home tried to get it home. I spun the #4 bearing. $617 later I have an 05 motor with 37,000 miles in the her. Is it possible to use the 3.5 oil filter adapter on the 3400?
              Wow....sorry to hear that. I'm going with either an electronic sensor gauge with no tubing or a multi-function gauge that connects to the OBD2 port like Aeroforce or Ultragauge.

In regards to using the 3.5L oil filter adapter on the 3400, no...it won't fit because the 3400 block doesn't have the mounting bolt holes you need to mount it. You can remove the adapter from the 3.5L and mount the oil filter the same way as the 3400, but you'll need to transfer the center thread plug which is simple to do with an Allen wrench. It's not clear to me which motor you bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Starglow View Post
                Wow....sorry to hear that. go with either an electronic sensor gauge with no tubing or a multi-function gauge that connects to the OBD2 port like Aeroforce or Ultragauge.

In regards to using the 3.5L oil filter adapter on the 3400, no...it won't fit because the 3400 block doesn't have the mounting bolt holes you need to mount it. You can remove the adapter from the 3.5L and mount the oil filter the same way as the 3400, but you'll need to transfer the center thread plug which is simple to do with an Allen wrench. It's not clear to me which motor you bought.

X2

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I bought another 3400. I think I'm going to get an electric Autometer gauge...
                  2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                  -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                  -Flowmaster 80
                  -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Working...
                  X