A Helpful Gizmo for Setting Valve Lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Helpful Gizmo for Setting Valve Lash

I probably should have posted this and the link to the images on my photobucket site some time ago... Nonetheless... if you have experience with using a Breaker Bar for turning engines over when setting valve lash, you know from experience that if it is a big bar in a tight place under the hood of a car because of the need for additional mechanical advantage... it's damn near as hard to wrangle with as an ambulating three year old in Walmart during the Christmas Holidays! The Gizmo listed herein though can calm down that Breaker Bar and make it a lot easier to work with. Made a long time ago in the case of this specific tool by Snap-on and listed here is the Model# 67-B: A Ratcheting Half-Inch Drive Adapter which will give a nice, sturdy and incremental bi-directional method of angling that huge lever back and forth and making life just a little bit easier when trying to make sure that the rocker arms pushing down on the lifters being tinkered with will all sit comfortably on their Base Circle of the Camshaft while setting the valve train up with a preliminary "Zero-Lash" and then one-half turn to finish the job... assuming you have installed CompCam Pro-Magnum Roller Tipped Rockers... otherwise...for the "Stocker Rocker" ...after achieving the magical "Zero-Lash" condition desired... make one and one half (1-1/2) final turns to pre-load the lifters. The link below has additional images related to the installation of Iron Heads and the Valve Train, etc. The Aluminum Crankshaft Slotted Tool (1/2" Drive) is generally touted only for SBC use...but after dropping a Ten Spot on this one via eBay... I found it works just as well on 660 Engines.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-11-2012, 01:49 AM.

I asked for a large ratcheting breaker bar for Christmas last year. It makes for a smaller head. But the adapter you have there does work great.

I installed those same rockers on my Trooper they are a great value.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
    X