Fuel Pump Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Fuel Pump Problem

Okay, I was driving along, and I came to a stop sign, and my car just dies. No loud noises just dies. I have it isolated to the fuel pump... I think. It gets voltage up to the connectors in the back seat, but from there to the pump, the voltage drops. I'm thinking I need to replace the wires/ connectors. What do you guys think?

take a rubber mallet and smack the bottom of the tank a few times, report back

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

It didn't work...

Comment

You've probably done all these steps...but just in case:

I had the privilege of visiting Airtex, and while I was there I spoke with Shane Neuman about diagnosing a faulty fuel pump. In this video we go over the ba...

95 Pontiac TransAm Fuel Pump Replacement as a generic analogue to your car (Sorry about the 4th Gen and V8 Part though):

Part One
        Friday afternoon, The girl nest doors car wouldnt start, after giving her a ride to work, it was time for some beer drinkin wrenchin'!

Part Two

And so THIS extreme effort cries out for a "Trap Door Access" solution to be able to avoid having to do it this way.

IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE!

Assuming from your name that your vehicle is a 1992 Pontiac Firebird... the tank template locations and dimensions will be much different... so you will have to find a proper thread specific to doing this job unique to your car! DO NOT USE THE 4th Gen F-Body Trunk Panel Dimensions to make any metal cuts!

Part One
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part Two
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-03-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the videos. The previous owner did that, and I wonder why he did. Now I know, haha.
          I re-checked my wiring, and I got complete resistance across power and ground wire, and I can't find the inline fuse. Where is that located?

Comment

I don't know enough about that F-Body generation to say where the fuse might be located. May I suggest a visit to eBay and using this link, you will find your Official GM 1992 Pontiac Firebird F-Body Carline Series Shop Manual at very reasonable prices? That is the only real reference to rely upon for searching around your chassis and finding how things are hidden and arranged, short of having an ALLDATA account:

Get the best deals for 92 Firebird Shop Manual at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

there is no fuse between the water tight fitting and the tank side. The only fuel pump fuse is under the dash.

can you hear the pump run when you click the key on?

If you have the access panel cut, changing out the pump shouldn't be too bad.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

After much hair pulling I found what I was looking for. Hidden away between the inner passenger fender and the coolant reservoir was the fuse. I replaced it and the car started right back up again.

Thank you for y'alls advice. It was much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X