Some help with an leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help with an leak.

I have a 96 GP SE. Bought it a little over a year ago and put 22k miles on it. The engine was sposta been changed with a 3100 out of a 96 Lumina that at the time had 36k miles on it when I bough it.

So a back in November I was driving home and lost the heat in the car. Got home put coolant in it and it and all was good till it leak out again with in a little drive. The leak only happens when the system is pressurized and it will shoot a stream out the passenger back side of the engine. Its been parked till today when i decided to tear into it and see if I can't find the issue. I pulled the LIM and don't see any sign that it was leaking. It kind of looks like it could be coming from the timing cover or maybe the rear head?

Any ideas, advice, or comments?
    Last edited by bkaab; 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM.

2001 Grand Prix Topswap GT-(12.71@107.92mph)
    1996 Grand Prix SE-(17.32@80.23mph) Turbo Project
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix-project restore

I've cracked a head in that very spot, it could be a frost plug, if not that, its rather wierd but could be the timing cover. just look over everything good before you tear into it any more. taking off the front motor mounts and tilting the engine forwards will gain you access to see, i use a racket strap to accomplish this. watch out for your A/C and trans lines that the dont bend when doing this.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

The hose going to the overfill tank or the ends of the hose. You might hear bubbling sounds after shutdown. It won't leak until the cooling system reaches pressure and the radiator cap bleeds off extra pressure into the overflow tank. When the car cools, the contraction of the coolant will draw air into the radiator. The plastic nipple can crack.

Also check under the coolant pump pulley and around the pump housing for leaks. Though I have a feeling your problem is related to the overflow tank. Make sure the hose isn't cracked and the ends are well clamped tight.

You can loose the heater by simply having too much air in the cooling system. Once you find and fix the leak, properly bleed and burp the car. There are two bleeding spots. Then start it (cold) with the raditator cap off and gently rev it. It will bubble out the rest and fill with coolant. You have a few minutes before the heat starts pushing coolant out the fill neck.
      Last edited by TGP37; 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

I'm doing a minor rebuild so I don't have to worry about anything else. Rod bearings, all new top end gaskets, and a 3400 topswap.

Comment

If it was leaking from a cracked manifold you should see signs in the oil and/or exhaust. Milky oil or and exhaust that steams white smoke when warmed up.

Since you said passanger side I would really look at the pump and the hose between the overflow. Possibly the radiator itself but the tend to burst on the drivers side.
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Here is an interesting and high quality "How-To" on 3.1L and 3.4L Intake Manifold Gasket Repair on front engine applications that might be worth adding here:

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-05-2012, 02:43 AM.

Comment

One thing to point out in that link. If you have to loosen the rockers to remove the pushrods, be cautious because occasionally the pushrod clings to the rocker and it can drop.

There is a tool to remove the pushrods w/o loosening the rockers. But it isn't required, just convenient.

And since your pushrods are out, make sure they are not clogged up. They are like straws, lol.
              Last edited by TGP37; 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                One thing to point out in that link. If you have to loosen the rockers to remove the pushrods, be cautious because occasionally the pushrod clings to the rocker and it can drop. There is a tool to remove the pushrods w/o loosening the rockers. But it isn't required, just convenient. And since your pushrods are out, make sure they are not clogged up. They are like straws, lol.
                I think this is the one...

Since this video was first done, the Lisle 48500 has been discontinued. Since the Lisle 48500 has been discontinued, the new tool is the Lisle 48300. http://...

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                  That's it! Can save a lot of time.

Comment

Well I found the main leak. It was from the timing cover.
                    Last edited by bkaab; 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Wow, that is a heck of a leak. Glad you found it.

Comment

Working...
                      X