3100 Running Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3100 Running Temp?

So i swapped TB on my 3100 to a 3400 and since i was there and i had gotten a code for it i swapped the ect sensor mainly because it was easier to get to with the TB off, so i put the new sensor and TB on, start it up. Runs fine no problems.
    While im on my way home i notice that the temp gauge on the dash is reading higher then normal, so why first thought was that i put air in the cooling system. so i bleed the system, pull it under a vacuum(holds fine no leaks). Run the car again, same problem so i put the old ect back in and now its reading normal.
    I hooked my scanner up and was watching what the computer says the temp is and compared to the gauge on the dash, there no where close

So my questions are-
    Is what i think normal really wrong because the sensor is bad, and it really runs that hot?

Which reading is right and witch is wrong?

Thanks

Mine runs between 195-210 F on any given day depending on the type of driving

Comment

thats about what the computer says, but the gauge is closer to 180-190

Comment

The gauges are not accurate due to consumer issues. I dont remember much but I do remember the temp gauges in the cluster was purposely designed to read cooler then what the real temp is. I think it was because people took their cars in when they appeared to run hot, but it was just normal operation.

I also learned these engines, among others, run better and/or more efficient around 210*F versus 195*F as per thermostat.

I wouldn't worry about it until it passes 225-230 degrees F, imho
        Last edited by TGP37; 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

alright thanks,
          ill just put the new sensor back in and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
            The gauges are not accurate due to consumer issues. I dont remember much but I do remember the temp gauges in the cluster was purposely designed to read cooler then what the real temp is. I think it was because people took their cars in when they appeared to run hot, but it was just normal operation.

I also learned these engines, among others, run better and/or more efficient around 210*F versus 195*F as per thermostat.

I wouldn't worry about it until it passes 225-230 degrees F, imho

Interesting. My gauge reads real low, dunno if it's accurate. The fan doesn't come on until around 110*C. Normal operating temp is between 50 and 60*C according to the gauge but I've used an IR thermometer and the thermostat opens when it should.

However I believe there's something amiss with the sensor or wiring because even in the dead of winter it reads slightly higher than 40* (the lowest number on the Celsius gauges) and will start moving once it passes that temp, but since it's reading low it doesn't go much higher unless I'm idling and I let it get warm enough for the fan to turn on.

I think it's just a really fancy idiot light.

Comment

thats what mine was doing for years, then it throws a code telling me replace the sensor.
              replaced with a new one and now it reads really high(compared to the way its read for like 5 years)

Comment

Originally posted by Dpzelenak View Post
                thats what mine was doing for years, then it throws a code telling me replace the sensor.
                replaced with a new one and now it reads really high(compared to the way its read for like 5 years)
                If it reads hotter the PCM will act on the temp either way. That just may be added resistance in the circuit as the temp sensor works on resistance. Or maybe a pcm ground is going bad, failing grounds cause all kinds of wierd issues.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Working...
                X