3100/3400 Longevity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3100/3400 Longevity?

How long can a stock engine last? How many mile/kms have you guys seen?

My 98 lumina has a original transmission and engine, With original intake and head gaskets. Simple put it never been apart. Just hit 230.000km the other day.

It doesn't use any oil or antifreeze but hearing so much about there "problems" I am going to be changing the intake gaskets in the spring.

With doing so could this engine see over 300.000 km?

The transmission shifts great. I replaced the filter a few months ago and fluid changed, it was surprisingly pretty clean internally.

Thanks for your time!
    2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

I've seen them hit 400-500k kilometers. Well maintained there's no reason they can't last a long time

Comment

Lack of maintenance is what kills them. Even something as simple as putting off that weak thermostat wears on them premature. Change her fluids regular, warm her up before taking off in the morning, clear her throat on occasion, (let her rev out that gear change), and she can go forever. Oh, stupid car wash that does an under-body spray every other day helps tons too, especially in winter.

Making American motors last for a long time is not a new concept. I personally have had a 400k+ mile Olds 350. It was still pulling 160 compression and running when I pulled it out of the cutlass it had been in for 30+ years.
      sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
      A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
      Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

What if i warm my 3400/3500 hybrid up all the time.Use castrol gtx every two thousand miles.But beat the piss out of it 85% of the time?How long then

Comment

Only thing scares me is how everyting on my car was "suppose to last 100,000 miles" and I got the car at 107K. I'm just glad it was an old lady with all the sears reciepts in the glovebox.
          2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)

2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

1998 Sandrift Metallic Buick Century Limited (Traded in)

Comment

hey Merc, you always take pics of your car at Severence shopping center?

Too bad you're an east sider. I'm in the Parma area.

And at 100+, I'd be more worried about the trans. Them I wouldn't put past 150k.
            Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
            PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

The trans on mine is starting to go. 1-2shift is very sloppy and its ony 146K on the clock. Motor still runs great.
              sigpic
              1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
              3400/Getrag 284 5spd
              1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
              350/NV3500 5spd
              2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

It was the closest open area to snap pics of it as is before I start modifying it. Parma isn't that far our car club sometimes go to the Spaghetti Warehouse in Akron.

How hard/easy is it to do a tranns swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Merc6; 01-13-2012, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Car club? which one? I'd like to get in on that come spring. Doing this all by internet feels lonely :P

Comment

PM sent to prevent "Passenger 57"

In the event would it be possible to rebuild it with the internals of the Regal Series II trans parts or would that trans bolt up? it apperars those trans *cough* and engines are all over the west side Via Ebay and Pull-A-Part.

Comment

4T65E Performance Transmission and Torque Converter. Level 2 from PATC. Transgo Shift Kit, Blue Plate Special clutches, Performance Converter, Cast Pan . . . . .

Some upgrades for a 4T65

Comment

That'll do, hopefully a nice distance down the road with a spare trans to take apart and piece by piece.

Comment

thanks for the for the comments! Hopefully my lumina will be one of those!
                          Last edited by Maple Leaf; 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM.
                          2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

Working...
                          X