removing exhaust manifold bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing exhaust manifold bolts

What would be the best way of removing verry old exhaust manifold bolts without breaking them ? Any special formula ? or is break drill tap the only sollution...

I use PB Blaster on them, tap them gently with a solid rod and hammer, and let them soak for a day.
    Find a good 6-point socket that fits the head tightly, and "shock" the bolt (hold ratchet in place and smack far end or ratchet with a hammer) before attempting to ratchet them out.
    I also have a low-power 12v electric impact that I like to use for this type of thing. It came with an emergency roadside kit.
    Worst case scenario is that you end up breaking one (or more) and will have to extract them or drill and tap.
    sigpic
    "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

HY Teck Rod
      Thanks for your input makes a lot of sence. Do you think that heating the engine head would help?
      I am equipt to heat map/oxy ......But i'm a little weary about torching the head .......
      Last edited by Harry TheHat; 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I've been building my project car for so long that I forget other people might be working on running cars.
        Getting the car up to operating temp before attempting to break those bolts loose would help quite a bit.
        I have used a hand-held propane torch in some situations like this but there can't be any oil, fuel, grime, or other combustable materials nearby (about a 1 ft. radius from each bolt, including PB Blaster).
        Be careful if you use fire, the cave men discovered it and they're all gone now, LOL.
        Last edited by TechRod; 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: punctuation
        sigpic
        "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Oh, and on a personal level...
          1. Take your time.
          2. When "shocking" the bolt, creep up in force, start with light taps and work your way up to hard whacks, your hand supports the ratchet's pivot point during this part of the job so you can only hit it so hard anyway.
          3. Good luck.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X