Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 SFI on Buick Century Can't get balancer off

Hello,

I've been having some trouble trying to remove my balancer. The bolts out and everything but the balancer seems like it's really stuck on the hub. I have the pulley tool, and all it dead was eat the threads that the harmonic balancer screws into. I got a chisel and tapped the balancer being the rear and it moved it enough but not enough to get it off. Any ideas on how to pull this thing? This cars is turning out to be a real PITA.

The one time I had to pull the pulley on my truck, I didn't realize the washer on the bolt had stayed in the center of the balancer and the balancer wouldn't budge because the puller was pressing on the washer that was pushing on the pulley, not the puller pushing on the crank to remove the balancer. It sucks having to change timing belts out side when the light is vanishing...
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I made up this tool (from scrap) to remove mine. The center bolt is threaded in, I backed out the bolt holding the pulley about 1/2 inch and then pushed on the bolt head using the center bolt, is slid right off, but it was on hard. Larry

Comment

mr. roadbastard, start at the beginning and verify all step are done. sometimes it can be a simple "how did i forget that" that usually gets things back on track. make sure all pulley bolts are completely removed. make sure crank bolt, and the huge washer are removed. if there is room. slug it with a hand sledge. no massive blows and never in straight line with the crank. turn the big remover bolt, to put pressure on the balancer. then tap down on the top of the balancer to make it want to give some. remember no very hard blows, you can damage the crank bearings if you do. use a lot of p b blaster or wd 40.

Comment

Originally posted by rooster5333 View Post
          mr. roadbastard, start at the beginning and verify all step are done. sometimes it can be a simple "how did i forget that" that usually gets things back on track. make sure all pulley bolts are completely removed. make sure crank bolt, and the huge washer are removed.
          Hence my post
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Thanks, I managed to get it off. My tool was pretty warped that was the problem. I went out and got a new one but the damage was done and it stripped out the balancer bolt hole

Comment

When you say balancer bolt hole, do you mean one of the 3 for the puller in the actual balancer, or the center bolt in the crank?

*crosses fingers it's the 3 holes in the actual balancer*
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I've actually done this before and I was able to clean out the threads in the crank with a thread cleaner as well as a tap. Be careful when doing it. If its too deep of damage, then you are probably screwed. Mine was only the first couple threads.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Well, if it is the crank, at least a Helicoil > pulling the crank and having a shop do it or replacing the crank. I still hope it isn't the crank.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

It's the crank bolt, I'm just going to helicoil it and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X