Water Leak on 2.8 TBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leak on 2.8 TBI

I have a 1990 Trooper that has the 2.8 GM V6 in it. Last time I drove it, it leaked water, and at one point while parked at a gas station (Fortunately near my house) water just gurgled and spewed out of the engine... the BACK of the engine. The heater hoses look OK, the radiator hoses look OK (It's a trooper, the answer is never an easy one) and when I pour water in the radiator, it pours out of the back of the block. Looks like it's leaking out by the starter, at least that's where it hits the ground. There is oil, no water at all, in the crankcase. Are there freeze plugs in the back of the engine block or heads? Does anyone have a picture of the back of a 2.8 block? (By "Back" I of course mean the flywheel side.)

-Mark

First off, welcome to the site!

Secondly, yes there are freeze plugs on the flywheel side of the engine. Let me see if I can find some pics...

Not the best picture, but you should be able to see a couple there.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Lovely. Looks like it's time to pull the transmission. While I'm in there i might as well replace all three plugs, and the rear main oil seal.

How likely is it I'm just lucky enough to have a cracked block? It had a small leak, then suddenly gurgled and blew all the water out.

Comment

No its not a cracked block. That never happens unless you let it freeze with straight water in the coolant system.

The plugs can and do rust through. Mainly due to an improper coolant mix or one that is way past its time.

If you had the time I would take the engine out and change the plugs on the side of the block too because they probably wont be far behind.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I won't have to pull the engine to get the ones on the side. At worst, I'll need to pull the starter. Plenty of room around the engine in a Trooper. Also is shaping up to be one of the easiest transmissions I've ever pulled, ONCE I GET ALL THE SKIDPLATES OFF. Seriously, ever looked under a first-gen trooper? There are skidplates for the transmission, skidplate for the exhaust crossover, and an armored cage over the oil pan. And still 12" of ground clearance, stock. Pull that thing on some ramps and you've damn near got room to sit up underneath it.

Any special things I should do with the transmission while I have it out? It shifts fine, transfer case is fine, should I just clean it off and cram it back in? It's a 4L30 Transmission. I've asked in the Isuzu forum, but not much help there.

Comment

There is really nothing to do. Maybe change some seals and inspect for leaks on the trans pan.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

An update: between the 108 degree weather, and the hours I've been working, I haven't had much time to work on the old Troop. I took it down to Surfside Japanese Auto today, which is probably what I should have done weeks ago.

A bad thing happened... while sitting on jackstands, the stands fell over, and the trooper landed... on my wife's flawless 2001 Xterra. At least it didn't fall on me, but geez, that trooper just plowed the Xterra. Bent hood, bent radiator support, broken A/C fan, the list went on and on.

Comment

FELL OFF OF JACKSTANDS???? ok you have got to tell us how that happened. was it on the grass? were they lawn tractor stands? we all need to know so we can prevent the same kind of accident from happening to us. PLEASE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rooster5333 View Post
                  FELL OFF OF JACKSTANDS???? ok you have got to tell us how that happened. was it on the grass? were they lawn tractor stands? we all need to know so we can prevent the same kind of accident from happening to us. PLEASE!!!
                  I was at work at the time (I locate and mark out underground utilities) and didn't see it happen. But what I know is this:

The driveway has a slope, call it 5 degrees.

The front wheels were on ramps.

The rear axle was held up by two jackstands. They are pretty standard looking jackstands, although they are a bit short, as far as height, for an Isuzu Trooper.

What I *think* happened, was the front wheels rolled down the ramps, which pushed the stands over. Note to everyone here, DON'T DO THAT. If you have to lift all four wheels, put it on level ground, and use four (4) stands. If you do not have four jackstands, go buy them, because it's cheaper to do that than to have an $1800 body shop bill on your wife's Nissan. And it's far cheaper than having a hospital bill when your v6 powered car, be it Trooper, Corsica, or Cutlass falls and flattens you.

Comment

That sucks, but at least no one was hurt. Jack/stand safety is nothing to joke around with. One of the guys on the Ranger Station had his truck fall off the jack pinching his head between the fender and the tire. He was cheating his inspection and had to lower his bumper height and had swapped on a set of shorter tires to make his bumper height legal. In the process of swapping his standard set back on, that's when the accident happened. He ended up lucking out with his jaw being broken in a couple spots and having to have his jaw wired shut, but at least he is still here to tell you about it.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I had 2 incidents with those cheap JackStands. Ya know the kind made of pipe and they make 3 slits and bend them out and then weld cross braces. They shouldn't even be allowed to sell the things. One time I had all 4 wheels off and was under the car. My Mother showed up and I came out to talk to her. BAM!!! Right on the ground.... Threw those stands in the woods. The other time I was pulling the motor on one of my Opels and one of the cheap stands (not mine, my friend brought them over) crumpled and the car pinned me against the wall.. Pulled a Super Man number and pushed the car off of me... I'll NEVER use cheap JackStands again!!!
                      I've actually lost more than one friend to getting crushed by a car... Well, one guy was HUGE FAT and it didn't crush him.... It did put enough pressure on his chest that he couldn't breathe....

You said 108 degrees?? You sure the stands didn't sink into the pavement??? I always put my stands on old brake rotors.... Works great!!!
                      BE CAREFUL WITH JACKSTANDS!!!
                      Tom....

Comment

wow! i am glad no one was hurt. hope was only minor damage. i had a 97 monte carlo, fall off of a jack stand, AND ON TO MY CHEST!! i was so lucky. was removing gas tank, in my sis's garage. the car was on jack stands in rear, and ramps front. my sis ( who was buggin me bout being extremely careful, ha! who me? i'm a professional!) made me think of a little safety. so i got four bricks for each real wheel (2 on top of 2) and made up a lil bit o insurance. THANK GOD!! it crushed a pack of cigs i had in the top of my overalls. and put enough pressure that i had to work to get out. but no injuries!!!! those bricks really saved my behind. the reason it fell off? i was removing fuel tank. had to raise and lower the body several times while disconnecting the tank. had stands under suspension, and each time i raise and lower the body, it was working off the stands a little bit each time. when i drop the body the last time, i kinda let it down a lil fast, and the flex in the suspension, let it jump right off one side. it fell bout 6 in or so, but the bricks gave me just enough room. scared the living poo out of me. and just about the time i crawled out stood up, and began to breathe again, my sis appeared and told me dinner was ready. she saw the look on my face and asked what happened. i didnt tell her. can only imagine her finding me under that fallen car.

Comment

When you crawl under a car always take something thicker than you are (like a wood round) with you. Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X