3.1 Tripped an EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 Tripped an EGR

Got the '99 Monte Carlo 3100 running this last weekend. The CEL came on and I took it down to AutoZone to have the Code read. Was told it was the EGR Valve. I have not troubleshot it yet. But I did look at EGR prices. They range from $92 to 185$ (Borg Warner Lifetime Warranty).
    If it turns out it is the EGR Valve and not something else like wiring, could someone suggest a Brand that's reliable but still not expensive?
    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
    Project '69 Camaro in the works
    '95 Monte Carlo Z34 loaded,
    '99 Monte Carlo LS

In a word . . . no. If you want quality, expect to pay for it. First, take the valve off and check to see if the pintle is stuck. If it is, you can take a torx bit driver and gently turn the pintle on it's seat. Then press all the way in and make sure it doesn't stick open. Also inspect for pieces of carbon that may be holding it off it's seat. Make sure the connector is seated when plugged in and also that it is mounted the right way on it's support. The linear EGR is a fairly reliable design and mainly suffers from carbon buildup during service.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
      In a word . . . no. If you want quality, expect to pay for it. First, take the valve off and check to see if the pintle is stuck. If it is, you can take a torx bit driver and gently turn the pintle on it's seat. Then press all the way in and make sure it doesn't stick open. Also inspect for pieces of carbon that may be holding it off it's seat. Make sure the connector is seated when plugged in and also that it is mounted the right way on it's support. The linear EGR is a fairly reliable design and mainly suffers from carbon buildup during service.
      Thanks for the reply.
      I cleaned the face of the EGR Valve and the Pintle as much as possible before installing it with new gaskets.
      If it checks out electrically, can I soak it in GM top end cleaner? Will that clean the valves Pintle and interior without damaging it?
      jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
      '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Also check to make sure the EGR supply from the exhaust manifold is clear, as well as the path from the EGR into the intake. I had a 99 GP 3100 that had a solid mass of carbon from the EGR into the intake. The error for this car was an insufficient EGR flow error. Took a bit of carb cleaner and a piece of wire to get it all out, but it ran fine after that and hasn't tripped an EGR error since.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I do not recommend soaking the EGR valve in anything. A quick mechanical clean up, make sure it isn't sticking open and put it back in service. To quick check the ports, just fire the car up for a few seconds with the EGR valve still removed. Make sure the intake port sucks and the exhaust port blows (pun intended, and no...I don't have two girlfriends named intake and exhaust ).

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
            I do not recommend soaking the EGR valve in anything. A quick mechanical clean up, make sure it isn't sticking open and put it back in service. To quick check the ports, just fire the car up for a few seconds with the EGR valve still removed. Make sure the intake port sucks and the exhaust port blows (pun intended, and no...I don't have two girlfriends named intake and exhaust ).
            LOL! and i'm with what this guy says, strip it and clean it. its simple and worth while.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Well...it HELPS if you remember to attach the connector to the EGR Valve.
              Removed the Battery Negative to reset the Code. CEL went out....Life is Good!!!
              My embarrassment is truly overcome by my Happiness.
              This engine is running GGRRRREEAAT!
              Thanks everyone.
              jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
              '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Working...
              X