Help, steering wheel rotates freely!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, steering wheel rotates freely!

The steering wheel rotates freely, absolutely no resistance in the steering wheel. The tires do not move at all with the steering wheel. The steering gear isn't moving either, well the pinch bolt remains in the same position, no turning.

I suspect the ISS is snapped but I really am not sure. I need help diagnosing what is wrong and advise on how to replace, please.

This is what I believe caused the steering to break....

I removed the pinch bolt but I did not disconnect the ISS and the R&P from each other. I then lowered the front half of the sub-frame to remove the oil pan (the engine and transmission were supported above). While lowering the front end of the sub-frame, near the end of lowering it, I noticed a brief snap sound. It honestly sounded like metal shifting in the engine bay from lowering the sub-frame.

I disregarded the sound for the downpipe shifting under stress. But looking back now it seems something had broke in the steering system.

Such a bummer because I had finished my piston replacement for my turbo build. I was about to cruise the neighborhood while scanning to check things out. Obviously, the freely spinning steering wheel was an unwelcomed surprise.

Any help, please, is greatly appreciated. This vehicle MUST be finished before the cold winter days are fully upon us. My wife has her ride, but I'll have to walk in freezing temps. Good Lord, I hope not.

Pull the carpet up where the steering boot goes through the firewall, then pull that boot up. I bet the slip joint came apart. I had the same thing happen on the 92 when I was changing A/C compressors this past summer. It's a huge pain to get back together leaving the boot intact too. I ended up dropping the column to get mine done. I hope you have patience. If not, this is most likely going to test your nerves.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      Pull the carpet up where the steering boot goes through the firewall, then pull that boot up. I bet the slip joint came apart. I had the same thing happen on the 92 when I was changing A/C compressors this past summer. It's a huge pain to get back together leaving the boot intact too. I ended up dropping the column to get mine done.
      Thanks, that is a little uplifting news. Better to need reconnection instead of purchasing another replacement.

Dropping the column? As in the Steering Column? That seems like a royal pain in the arse. I'll take my chances pulling the carpet and boot back. If that fails then I'll have to drop the steering column.

I also found a brass looking nut on the ground below the R&P. About an inch wide and looks to fit the pinch bolt but I thought the pinch bolt had no nut? SI know, sounds funny, lol. But that bolt could have been something else that got kicked under the car, I hope. It sure isn't from the block.

I hope you have patience.
      Well, can't be that bad. After all, I am married.....lol

Comment

Pocket-Rocket, you are the man! You called it right. It was the slip-joint. But it wasn't hard at all to put them together. I simply dropped the rear side of the sub-frame about 5 inches. That allowed me to place the male end into the female end at a slight angle. I then gently turned the steering wheel and that pushed them together even more so. Jacking up the sub-frame pushed the two ends together. It took me about 30 minutes.

I drove her around the block and wow, she really pulls hard. Much better since the new heads, P&P, new pistons/rings, crank scraper, ect.

I also found a moderate exhaust leak just before the turbo. This was obviously reducing any kind of boost available. The spool up is really quick.

Thanks Mr. Rocket!!! A++ suggestion!

Comment

Mine was a royal pain, glad yours went better
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Mine was a royal pain, glad yours went better
            And it would have been just as hard if I decided to remove the steering column. Dropping the sub-frame really made it easy. The R&P side of the slip joint dropped w/ the sub-frame. That increased distance, even just a few inches, made all the difference.

But I don't know how long and how much frustration I would have endured before discovering it was the slip joint. I didn't even know about the slip joint as I am less experienced with steering columns and the associated mechanics of.

Again, Thanks...you saved me lots of hair pulling and wife beating (j/k)

Comment

Working...
            X