Lifter issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter issue.

Whats up guys. My 3.1 has a hell of a lifter tick. My diagnosis is that I put in lifters that were used in a 350. The were the same size and fit the lifter bore perfectly. I didn't realize that where the pushrod contacts the lifter was deeper on the ones from that 350. I have another set of lifters i can put in. Some of them have soft resistance when you push on it, and some are as stiff as a rock. Which ones are worn out? Thanks for any feedback guys!

I'd soak 'em in some 5-20 or 0-20 with the oil holes up for a day, then work 'em while in the oil and see that they are smooth. If any are bound up, don't use 'em. When you cover the hole after the air is bled out of them they should be very hard to depress, when the oil hole is opened they should be smooth/spongy but firm.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I made myself look like a dumba$$ with this whole thing. I took some advice from someone who thinks he knows all, but knows nothing. Major mistake on my part! I took the lifters i plan on putting in the motor and soaked them with oil. As I worked them, the ones that were really hard to begin with loosened up. I just hope that i didn't screw up anything else in the valve train with this whole lifter fiasco.

Comment

off but yet still on topic. is there a right and wrong way to install lifters in a 3100? the oil hole is only on one side. i know oil needs to get in there for the whole system to work. when installed do those oil holes need to face a specific way? the plastic piece on top of the lifters only allowed them to go in two ways. but one way might be flipped 180 from what it should be.

idk..im just making sure i understand this and that i did everything right.
        2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

Comment

I am not aware that it makes a difference as to orientation. If it does, I am certain the assembly manual would have said so. There is usually a groove around the lifter for oil to reach the oil port of the lifter.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Working...
          X