X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought it was a head gasket...

Greetings,

... a little background on the car....

My son has a '95 Formula with the LT1... great car...
    His girlfriend was looking for a 1st car, so I offered to help her find something cheap. She wanted cool, but inexpensive.

I found a '95 Camaro with a dead 4L60E. The car had 162,000 miles and came with a replacement transmission. The guy had bought it for his son, but his son ended-up getting a truck. He didn't have anywhere to work on, either. Just what I needed... cool and cheap.

The body was in really good shape, and the interior only needs a headliner. The registration and inspection expired two years ago, so I wasn't expecting a ready-to-drive car. I paid $1000 for the car and replacement transmission.

... short story getting long... sorry

The car needed the "A" shift solenoid, a new fuel pump, and a new fuel tank. Then, it wouldn't pass the pipe-sniffer. Then it started setting an EGR code. What a bargain...

I cleanded the EGR passage in the intake manifold and the EGR codes went away, and it passed the pipe-sniffer test...

... getting to my point... be patient...

While at the emission-check station, the radiator burped-up coolant all over the floor. The dash gauge never indicated an overheat condition, though.

I got out on the road, and the temps droped from normal back to below-normal... where it usually sits. I thought nothing of it.

About an hour later, my son went over to her house and she started the car. It puked-up all over the street again... with a cold engine. He removed the radiator cap and started the engine. Coolant *shot* out of the radiator all over the place.

I figured it had to be a blown head gasket. What else would put air into the cooling system?

I pulled the heads. I was expecting major gasket carnage, but didn't see much out of the ordinary.

Should I just put new head gaskets on it and slap it back together, or should I check some other stuff out? I'm not too familiar with all the ways of the 3.4.

The block is cast iron as are the heads. If we're not going to hotrod the car, should I bother dropping cash on having the heads inspected by a machine shop? I want to get it back on the road for as little as possible.

Thanks,
    Ron - Nevada, TX
    Care-giver to following GM 60-degree V6 vehicles:
    '95 Camaro 3.4
    '02 Olds Silhouette
    Owner of following GM other V6 vehicles:
    '91 Syclone
    '87 Grand National

Anytime you have the heads off having them checked out is always a good idea. If nothing else, I would purchase a crack detection kit and use it after giving the heads a good cleaning. IIRC, the iron heads are prone to cracking between the valve seats. I thought there was a thread from a few months ago where a member had found a crack in his iron heads using the crack detection dye kit, but I'm not seeing it right now. Maybe Brad will remember what one I'm talking about if it's on this forum and not another forum I'm on.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The one you are thinking about was alum heads, not iron heads...

-Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I'm glad you have a better memory than I do.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
        X