Air Conditioner pulley problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner pulley problem

hey all, i just bought a 2000 Grand Am GT 3400 and i have been noticing a tinging sound coming from the lower engine area, so today i took the belt off and started spinning the pulleys and noticed that there is some metal shavings around my A/C pulley, spun it and yes that is where the ting sound is coming from, what is the best possible way to fix this?? any help would be awsome!

you probably will have to replace the a/c clutch assembly
    1994 Buick Century

Comment

i took it to my mechanic today, he fixed it, the only thing is my A/C doesn't work anymore, which i am not sad about cause i never used A/C anyways

Comment

well im glad to hear that its at least fixed
        1994 Buick Century

Comment

Once the pulley cooks you can bet on a compressor replacement. The usual scenario, besides mechanical wearout, is the front seal starts to leak. Then the refrigerant oil washes out the pulley bearing and then the rest is history. I rarely use my AC, but sometimes you gotta have it to de-fog the windshield quickly. Your mechanic probably bypassed the pulley with a shorter belt rerouted, either that or he pulled the clutch hub to stop it from contacting the pulley if he thought your bearing was okay.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

He probably just pulled the clutch plate out away from hub (or pried it away)

You can remove plate and clean it and the hub from the rust that causes the jingle sound.
            The reinstall with the correct gap so the magnet can pull it closed.
            As of April 2
            3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
            ----------------------------
            Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
            Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
            Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
            Injectors: #36 GTPs
            TB: 65mm TCE
            Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
            Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
            Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
            Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

thats what he did, he pulled it away, i think i might just go with a A/C delete pulley after reclaiming the freon come the spring time, i hate working on cars in the winter esp when i don't have a garage!

Comment

Working...
              X