3500 Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3500 Oil Leak

Well, my 3500 is most definitely leaking oil. Put some UV dye in it to be sure, and it's coming from the pan gasket some in front of the motor and some behind.

I wondered if the bolts happened to be getting loose, but they were definitely tight. I had to pull my pan for the first time right before the motor went in because I dropped a fat piece of that orange LIM channel gasket down into the crankcase and I had to fish it out so it didn't float around in the pan and possibly cause a clog.

I reinstalled with the same gasket, put black RTV where needed, and tightened to spec. This was with my old beam style torque wrench, before I bought a proper one. Did the bolts maybe get overtorqued or something? Can anything else cause an oil leak from the front and rear of the gasket? Is the only real solution to somehow remove the oil pan and replace the gasket?

Thanks.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

My vote would be new gasket. I've also been told the old beam torque wrenches are more accurate than the clickers. Especially when you let a friend borrow a clicker and specifically tell him "If you aren't using it, return it to 0" and you get it back 2-3 months later with it set on 35lbs-ft... I so wanted to smack him with it. I was mad.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
    X