95 Buick Century 3100 high rev at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 95 Buick Century 3100 high rev at start up

I have a 95 Buick Century with a 3100. When I first start it up on cold winter days it revs real high (Im guessing around 7-8k rpms) then settles back down to a normal idle. It also has a slight tick but only with a cold engine. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

It's unlikely it's going to seven or eight thousand, since these engines redline closer to 6000 in stock form, and the rev limiter in park/neutral is much lower than that. Your car probably doesn't have a tachometer and you're guessing since it does make an awful racket when it revs real high.

I think the idle speed control might be malfunctioning a bit.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

I would concur. Maybe pull out the IAC and shoot it with some carb and choke cleaner. If it were a vacuum leak (a large one like a brake booster or intake manifold gaskets) it would do it all the time and not settle down (if it would even idle).
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Park/neutral rev limiter is around 3k, so that is probably as high as it will go. Concur with the IAC.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Thanks guys that at least gives me a starting point

Comment

Working...
          X