Mixing Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
    re qualifying the resulting oil is the only way to figure it out.
    that's what i didn't want to hear... but i assumed it to be the truth anyway.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Valvoline max life is semi synthetic, and $14 usually at walmart. I really like it. I have ran cheap normal oil up until the last two oil changes and I really like the max life now. I can tell difference in the motor and just how the oil feels. It doesn't thin out ever it seems. Seems to cling and coat to anything and makes old conventional oil feel like water... lol
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Max life is good oil. I used to run that in the car until the new motor, which i nowrun royal purple. But everything else gets max life.
        sigpic
        1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
        1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
        350/NV3500 5spd
        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I had MaxLife in my GA for over a year. Pretty good oil, but it's just a synthetic blend. The additives made it thicker than the average 5W-30, which wasn't so nice in the winter. I'd always get a valve tap in temps below 25*F. I now use either 5W-30 Castrol Edge, or 0W-30 Castrol Syntec. I haven't had any taps or knocks with either of these oils, even on a few 15*F mornings.
          -Chris-
          03 Black GAGT Sedan
          MODS:
          MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
          Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

Im actually kinda scared to go start my car in this cold weather. It hasnt been started in 4 months.
            sigpic
            1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

As long as you don't have a Fram Fail filter on there, it shouldn't be too bad. Four months is a long time for a motor to be inactive.
              -Chris-
              03 Black GAGT Sedan
              MODS:
              MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
              Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

If you do decide to start it just be sure to let it warm completely up to boil out any condensation in the oil that could have formed in the crankcase.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Here are a few more 'oily' Pearls of Wisdom on the subject matter...

Learn how to do just about everything at ehow. Find expert advice along with How To videos and articles, including instructions on how to make, cook, grow, or do almost anything.

Comment

carbible and the Knize oil study: VERY good sources of info. the other two, i haven't been through yet.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

mind = blown...

i always thought the first number was a measurement of viscosity...
                      Attached Files
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I use in my car Mobile 1 high millage in my car, I used Castrol GTX, then Syntec blend now I am using Mobile 1 only. I can swear by Mobile 1 after seeing the inside of a friend's Honda B18A1 that had 219,000 miles on it, 80,000 of which he put on it, and I can say if it had not been for the conrod through the block, the engine was in great shape (threw a rod because he ran it low on oil with out knowing because we couldn't find the leak).

Comment

Working...
                        X