Mixing Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Oil

anyone see any issues with it? let's say i acquired some 5w-20 and 20w-50 of the same brand and type and mixed them in equal proportions, would that essentially make a 5w-50 oil? it's something i've always pondered but have never dug into far enough to figure it out.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

I've never thought about it, but I dunno if it would work. I have a feeling the thicker oil would disproportion the lighter oil, and it might just be like 10W-40 in the end, but that's just my take on it.
    -Chris-
    03 Black GAGT Sedan
    MODS:
    MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
    Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
      I've never thought about it, but I dunno if it would work. I have a feeling the thicker oil would disproportion the lighter oil, and it might just be like 10W-40 in the end, but that's just my take on it.
      I think that is the way it works.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Just curious, why not use actual 5W-50 oil? The Castrol Syntec stuff is rather nice. Although it's manily used to European cars (as is the 0W-30 I use lol) but it's excellent oil.
        -Chris-
        03 Black GAGT Sedan
        MODS:
        MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
        Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

Comment

Just curious, why not use actual 5W-50 oil? The Castrol Syntec stuff is rather nice. Although it's manily used to European cars (as is the 0W-30 I use lol) but it's excellent oil.
          2 reasons: price and availibility.

it would be nice to use a synthetic oil, or even a synthetic blend, but the funds are not there to allow such "luxuries".

AND it's not real easy to find near me, and is usually out of stock when i can find a place that sells it.

i'm now very interested to know if it would work properly, or what ratio i would need to mix to allow it to act as such.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I know most Autozones carry Syntec, and the majority of the different weights.

Not to mention, I don't even think that type of weight oil is made conventionally.

As for themix, the 20W-50 just seems way too thick, I could see maybe the 5W-20 and 10W-40 mixing in a bit better.
            -Chris-
            03 Black GAGT Sedan
            MODS:

Comment

Why do you think you need that heavy of an oil to begin with?

Comment

C'mon... Mix some 90 weight with some 0w10. GREAT oil pressure, that cam will snap into action!
                Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by asylummotorsports View Post
                  Why do you think you need that heavy of an oil to begin with?
                  i never said i needed it, just that the idea of mixing oil like this to create another grade of oil is possible or not.

"C'mon... Mix some 90 weight with some 0w10. GREAT oil pressure, that cam will snap into action! "

i think the snapping would be the REaction, but i'm sure it would!

the autozones near me are tiny(and understocked). there is like one NAPA, and that's about it for chain stores. there is a decent sized local store but the prices there are worse.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

That sucks then, Autozones and other chain stores like that usually have good oil change deals with Syntec. On average, when they go sale of course, the Syntec is usually sold $35 for 5 quarts with a K&N filer.
                    -Chris-
                    03 Black GAGT Sedan
                    MODS:

Comment

the Syntec is usually sold $35 for 5 quarts with a K&N filer.
                      my Pennzoil is 12.50 for 5 quarts... that would almost triple the cost of an oil change for me.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Compared to how much by itself, it's a nice deal.

The Syntec is $6.99, five quarts is around $37.96 with tax. The K&N filter is $14.11 with tax, so the deal is well...a deal for $35 uŃstead of +$55 together. lol
                        -Chris-
                        03 Black GAGT Sedan
                        MODS:

Comment

I have been using a brand by the name of Mystic, It is a semi-synthetic in either 5-30 or 10-30 weights. It is made for diesels and tractors for the most part and has higher levels of additives for lube and heat. I have not had a oil related problem yet, At least that I did not create myself! I get it thru Farm & Fleet up here in Wisconsin. $15 per 2 Gal jug.

Comment

i hope with that 20-50 oil you dont plan on using it in cold weather. i had a jug of 15-40 from when i put the cam in sitting on the bench and in the colder months that stuff was wicked thick.

i know its heavy duty diesel oil but they also have heaters and stuff on the trucks.
                            sigpic
                            99 Grand Am GT
                            3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                            Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                            1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                            515 515 lift 112 lsa
                            15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

You can mix any brand, type and weight of oil and it will mix and work just fine. As for the resulting viscosity well I don't think there is any math you can use to figure it out since there are so many types of additives and different qualities that re qualifying the resulting oil is the only way to figure it out.
                              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X