Feels a little Weak in low RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feels a little Weak in low RPM's

Hey Guys, I know all you guys out there are geniuses when it comes to this so I was hoping to pick a few brains on this...
    I just did a full headgasket on my 95 3100 Grand Prix and the car runs and drives great for the most part except I cant shake the feeling that it was a little quicker in the low RPMs than it is now. In drive I can slam on the gas and it will start off at a slower pace and then doesn't start to really grab until around 4000 rpm and then at 4500 rpm launches like a screaming fighter jet. To be honest performance is still great but I really can't shake the feeling that in the low RPMs my engine had a bit more bite...
    Any ideas either on what that might be or how to improve it for cheap?

WOT intake manifolds, change to OBD1 and tune it, K&N are what I think of really fast. Less restrictive exhaust (IIRC, stock 3100 down pipe is like 1.5" ID)- have a custom downpipe made and have a high flow cat put in, then maybe cat back to 2" down the road, but that's more expensive that the simple bolt-ons I mentioned.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      WOT intake manifolds, change to OBD1 and tune it, K&N are what I think of really fast. Less restrictive exhaust (IIRC, stock 3100 down pipe is like 1.5" ID)- have a custom downpipe made and have a high flow cat put in, then maybe cat back to 2" down the road, but that's more expensive that the simple bolt-ons I mentioned.
      That would help out a bunch.

But if you're gonna do exhaust, I'd bump it up to 2.25" pipping, and add a glasspack as a resonator. While I know the Flowmaster 80 series muffler just sounds like secks with the any 60* motor, it's a crossflow muffler, and I don't think they're space underneath the rear for it. You could go with Flowmaster 40's, but I'd highly recommend a glasspack then to keep the rasp down bigtime. I get absolutely 0 rasp with my setup.

If you do a highflow cat, use Mangaflow, they make a nice difference, and it's the less likey model to set off any light with the 02 sensor after it (too much flow)
      -Chris-
      03 Black GAGT Sedan
      MODS:
      MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
      Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

sounds like the cam got retarded..... which is essentially what happens with a stretched timing chain. how old is that?
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          sounds like the cam got retarded.....

Wow man... No need to make fun of it because it is a little slow, meanie!
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            Wow man... No need to make fun of it because it is a little slow, meanie!
            It may not want to reach redline ever again...
            -Chris-
            03 Black GAGT Sedan
            MODS:
            MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
            Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

It sounds like the power drop is sudden. Power loss from chain stretch happens too slowly to notice over time unless it skipped a tooth. I'd say check fuel pressure and give the regulator a look first.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

So the weakness has gotten a lot worse and I realized that it's starting to stutter when accelerating a bit too. My expectation is it's just the spark plug wires as I knew they were going when I bought the car. It could be the coil pack too, I can rev it up and sometimes it fires right and other times I can feel it miss. Just bought a bosch premium wireset for cheaper than the duralast ones at autozone off amazon. Sparkplugs are all AC Delco stock replacements that are pretty much brand new and I gapped em just right so it shouldn't be those. I'm pretty sure that its just the wires but won't know for a few days when the wires ship in.

Comment

Working...
                X