• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Power degrading

First off, my cars info...

1996 3400/5 speed
    3100 injectors and fuel rail
    Replaced MAF two years ago
    replaced plugs, wires, coil packs, cps and fuel filter last year before it got so bad that it quit running.

The original problem was a strong jerking misfire that seemed like the engine was shutting off, only to be restarted be the clutch "push" starting it. If it happened with the clutch pushed in, it would just quit running. The problem was first apparent on the way back from a 200 mile trip in one direction. At about 100 miles left, it started doing this so badly(continuously), it tore up my clutchmaster clutch plate springs by the time I got home. Prior to this, it had not happened. After it started to happen, it would only be during longer trips. In town drives were just fine. Although, the engine was jerky with it's power output to where it would lag and then pull really hard for a second or two before going back to lagging.

After a year or so of messing around with it, it finally got so bad that it just stopped running altogether. Bumps would seem to agitate the problem, but it was still most apparent during acceleration. It was happening at all speeds and on all lengths of trips at this time. I brought it home, changed the plugs one last time, and it sputtered a few last breaths before not starting again till this year, after I replaced the engine harness. I tried starting it just prior to switching the harness, but it was a no go.

The engine ran GREAT for the first few days. More power then the 3400 ever had from the first time I drove with it in my car. Now it has begun misfiring under hard acceleration. This is a different problem then I had with it before. It registered on the original 3100 PCM as a P0300 (multiple misfire) and I switched that out for a tuned PCM that I purchased off of someone else. I figured maybe the tune caused it to run badly and even if it wasn't tuned for my injectors (tuned for '99 injectors I think it was?), I figured it would at least put more fuel into the engine.

Immediately after starting the engine I noticed it seemed to have a better tone to the exhaust and it idled much better. It idled fine before, but now it idled great. Took it for a drive and it seemed to be doing fine. After the engine warmed up, it started misfiring. The problem grew worse throughout the duration of my drive. This computer has not registered any codes though. Is it because of the way it's tuned? I don't understand why it wouldn't throw a code with the obvious misfire situation it is having.

At this time it has also started to do the hard misfire at speeds above 40. Why would replacing the harness get it to run again, but leave the original problem there?

Cylinder pressure on the front bank was even all the way across, prior to getting the engine running again. I skipped the rear bank because of the difficulty, and at the time, I felt that I would at least have a running engine with all three front cylinders at acceptable pressures. I also recently (today) checked for blow-by since it is currently running, but there is none. So without checking the other cylinders (and considering it will run right some of the time) I don't think I have a compression issue.

With a spark tester, the light appears to be consistent without any misses at idle. Random misfires can still be heard through the exhaust though. Fuel pressure was around 40 at idle with the 3100 FPR. I swapped on the 3400 FPR to no avail. I will be checking fuel pressure again later today, but haven't yet since I swapped the FPR.

Before swapping computers, I checked the plugs. They all appeared to have nothing on them. So IIRC, this should mean it's slightly lean? If it was horribly lean, they would be covered in white residue, correct? Would it be possible that they are fowling in this situation? (still wouldn't explain why my spark light was consistent though) If they had fowled, would they still be able to spark under no load (or cooler running temps), in turn burning the fuel off them keeping them as clean and dry as they are when I check them?

Being that the plugs are as clean as they are, I'm leaning more towards a fueling issue at this point. What pressures should I be getting at idle? I will try to get pressures during driving, but I'm not sure if my FPR will allow me to do so.

I'm mostly confused as to why it gets worse, the longer I drive. Once the engine is heated up, the cylinder temperatures should remain stable, shouldn't they? Maybe the fuel pump starts to lose pressure as it warms up after being run for extended periods of time? Would knock caused from low fuel ratio, cause the engine to just shut itself down to prevent catastrophic failure?

The fuel in the tank is probably a year old, but was full the whole time. No stabilizers were used. (yeah, maybe a stupid move on my part) This problem has been around during the fresh fuel days of the freshly swapped 3400 though, so it's not like old fuel started the problem to begin with. I'm mentioning this just in case, but I doubt it has anything to do with my current situation.

The longer I let the car sit (in days), the better it will run when I start it up again. The problem seems to return more quickly every time though. Driving nice and easy seems to prolong the time before the problem starts or even cause it to become a little better if you drive easy after some hard driving.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be? This is a very frustrating problem, but it needs to get figured out this year. No more slacking on this car, I finally have the time/money to work on it, so it is getting fixed. Hopefully before the last autocross of the year...
    1996 Beretta, 3400/5 speed, internet Tune, FFP UDP, Billet/poly mounts, ported intake manifolds, WAI, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, Borla ProXS, Intrax, KYB, poly front end kid, welded a-arms, strut, shock and sub-frame braces.

You don't say what your engine mileage is to date. If it is over 85,000 Miles... have you considered a worn Timing Set and a Herky-Jerky Timing Chain in your look for the trouble? The symptom of things getting worse during "bumps" sounds too immediate to be fuel related... seems more like something is loose electrically if that is the case. Have you tried to read the codes history for any DTCs/Errors? Year old gasoline has about as much punch left as Larry Holmes did when he turned 50. A good Chevron Techron treatment might put some spring back in its step with a few tanks of higher octane fuel, too. Take some time to over all the hook-ups for vacuum lines and electrical connectors...from top to bottom and see if you find anything loose/broken or disconnected.
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Probably about 25,000 on the engine.

Is there a sensor that could be faulty that would cause such a problem? i.e. knock sensor?

I've replaced the wiring harness and checked over the engine so many times, I don't know how it could be a loose/broken connection. I've removed the engine completely and replaced it as well. I don't know how I could overlook the same problem several times.

All codes that were activated are listed in my original post. At the current time, the (tuned) computer is not registering any codes. The original computer did register a P0300 (multiple misfire).

What is the module that is in the firewall right underneath the alternator vent structure? Does it have anything to do with ignition?
      1996 Beretta, 3400/5 speed, internet Tune, FFP UDP, Billet/poly mounts, ported intake manifolds, WAI, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, Borla ProXS, Intrax, KYB, poly front end kid, welded a-arms, strut, shock and sub-frame braces.

Comment

Originally posted by el_roy1985 View Post
        With a spark tester, the light appears to be consistent without any misses at idle. Random misfires can still be heard through the exhaust though. Fuel pressure was around 40 at idle with the 3100 FPR. I swapped on the 3400 FPR to no avail. I will be checking fuel pressure again later today, but haven't yet since I swapped the FPR.
        It takes two things to create combustion and that's fuel and spark. If the spark is good and you have a misfire it could be the injectors. It probably wouldn't hurt to check their resistance cold but resistance changes with temperature. It is possible they ohm within spec cold and get out of spec when hot.

Comment

How is the O2 sensor? 2x On injectors... Check their spray pattern too..

Also, how is the wiring? When swapping an engine it's possible to have pinched a wire, cut a wire/etc. Is the 7x crank sensor wiring coming out of the block twisted like it is factory? Not less than 9 turns per foot I think is the correct amount.

Actually.................

Where did you get the 7x CPS from?? Please don't say Autozone.. if so go get a borg warner or ac delco one somewhere else.

Also, is the ICM ok? Once that or the CPS gets hot they can skip and cause miss-fires....
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I got the CPS from either Checker or Oreilly's, I can't remember for sure. It was only a little over twenty dollars though, so maybe it's a junk one? Is there any way to check it to see if it is operating correctly?

The ICM is the piece the coil packs sit on, correct? I've switched that out with no improvements. I switched it with the one off my 3100, which was good when it was in the car with the 3100.

How do I check the spray pattern for the injectors? Crank the engine with them pulled out?

With a bad 02, you would think it would throw a code.

The wiring is all fine. I switched out harnesses not too long ago just to be sure. I also went through the "new" harness to make sure everything was fine and fixed any wires that needed it. I also switched out the connector from the CPS to the ICM, so it is wound up the way it is supposed to be.

I wish I had HPtuners, then at least I could watch the sensors and see what they are doing.

Comment

Over 20 bucks should be decent. I got a $11 one at Autozone to replace the stock one once, and it failed within a month, so I figured hey can't be the brand new CPS, so I bought a $100 ICM... turns out yes the cheapo CPS was the bad part....

Yes injectors would be to have them out of the LIM and hold card board under them and watch them do the first spray when you turn the key to ON (not start). It should do a quick squirt. You'll need new injector o-rings though when you un-seat them etc.

Yeah if it's running that bad the O2 should throw a code. I know though it can make it very rich and not throw a code when they go bad. Mine was blowing fuel out the back and MPG and power were down before I replaced it...

I'll keep thinking... O H wait, did you try EGR???? My car was miss firing and would barely stay running and not want to start when it got hot, turns out the EGR valve was stuck open...
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfSocrus View Post
                ...It takes two things to create combustion and that's fuel and spark. If the spark is good and you have a misfire it could be the injectors.
                If you suspect clogged fuel injectors, it might be cheaper (and safer) to drop a "Fazool" ($100.00) for an "On the Car" Pressure Fuel Injector Cleaning from any local, reputable auto repair shop. The service technician will bypass the fuel lines and install a pressure cylinder of a 50/50 mix of pure fuel injector cleaner and very high octane gasoline via a Schrader Valved Fuel Line on your fuel rails, then start the car and literally run the vehicle on the stuff while it flows through each injector and dissolves all that year old varnish congealed in the nozzles/screens.

The best performance from any fuel injector is for it to throw an atomized mist versus a straight stream of fuel that will foul your plugs pretty quickly and give very sketchy ignition while misbehaving. While neither as remote (and possibly ineffective) as passively dumping the stuff into a full gas tank nor as expensive as sending out all your EFIs for a thorough ultrasonic/power spray cleaning method (about three "Fazools), it will do marvels in getting the in-dwelling EFIs misting the right amount of fuel again in each cylinder.
                Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                  If you suspect clogged fuel injectors, it might be cheaper (and safer) to drop a "Fazool" ($100.00) for an "On the Car" Pressure Fuel Injector Cleaning from any local, reputable auto repair shop. The service technician will bypass the fuel lines and install a pressure cylinder of a 50/50 mix of pure fuel injector cleaner and very high octane gasoline via a Schrader Valved Fuel Line on your fuel rails, then start the car and literally run the vehicle on the stuff while it flows through each injector and dissolves all that year old varnish congealed in the nozzles/screens.

The best performance from any fuel injector is for it to throw an atomized mist versus a straight stream of fuel that will foul your plugs pretty quickly and give very sketchy ignition while misbehaving. While neither as remote (and possibly ineffective) as passively dumping the stuff into a full gas tank nor as expensive as sending out all your EFIs for a thorough ultrasonic/power spray cleaning method (about three "Fazools), it will do marvels in getting the in-dwelling EFIs misting the right amount of fuel again in each cylinder.
                  Sending out injectors for cleaning doesn't cost as much as you think (or at least as much as I think you think)... Should be around $120 for a set of 6 (http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorserv1.php4). And its well worth it, IMO.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I agree with Brad, the Injector service from witchhunter is probably the best way to go when cleaning injectors.

Also I would say swap out all ignition parts for new ones to see if that helps anything, And when I say New I only mean stuff thats not on the car, spares and such. I would also look at coils, are they original or aftermarket ones? Check your CPS wire that goes from the ICM to the CPS, make sure thats not melted to the EGR tube or the cross over and shorting out. One last thing, Unplug your high resolution crank sensor over by the AC compressor (the sensor behind the pulley) and see if that helps... I've seen that mess with fueling and spark on my car before. Your car will run fine with it unplugged... IIRC its only there to work in conjunction with the Cam sensor for SFI function and such.

Got Lope?
                    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

The intermittent nature of the misfire means it can't be spray patterns or clogs because that would be a physical problem and would probably be much more consistent. This is definitely something electrical related. If the car does start and run great even for a short period of time then it isn't a problem of fuel flow. For a miss to happen like that the spark plug would have to not fire or the injector not fire. The injector is a solenoid much like the one on a starter motor, and we all know those can give intermittent problems when they wear out as well as not want to operate when hot. It could easily be an ignition problem but you would probably have to ohm everything (injectors included) when it is cold and hot and take note of any drastic differences.

Comment

Got some values

Got a hold of a scanner that reads the sensors, so here are some values I obtained from it.

Load Value - 54.9%
                        Coolant - 186
                        STFT - Bank 1 - 0%
                        LTFT - Bank 1 - 13.2%
                        Manifold Pressure - 27.6 in.hg
                        Engine RPM - 3723
                        Vehicle speed - 50 mph
                        Ignition advance - -24.5 deg
                        Intake air temp - 78
                        Maf flow rate - 14.3lb/min
                        Throttle - 99.4%
                        Bank1 - sensor1- 02S Output 0.895v
                        Bank 1 - sensor1 - STFT 0.0%
                        Bank 1 - sensor2 - 02S Output 0.445v
                        Bank 1 - Sensor2 - STFT 99.0%

Load Value - 6.2%
                        Coolant - 190
                        STFT - Bank 1 - -2.3%
                        LTFT - Bank 1 - -3.9%
                        Manifold Pressure - 8.4 in.hg
                        Engine RPM - 1780
                        Vehicle speed - 35 mph
                        Ignition advance - -36.5 deg
                        Intake air temp - 89
                        Maf flow rate - 1.2lb/min
                        Throttle - 5.4%
                        Bank1 - sensor1- 02S Output 0.325v
                        Bank 1 - sensor1 - STFT 2.3%
                        Bank 1 - sensor2 - 02S Output 0.445

Load Value - 2.7%
                        Coolant - 192
                        STFT - Bank 1 - -0.7%
                        LTFT - Bank 1 - -1.5%
                        Manifold Pressure - 8.7 in.hg
                        Engine RPM - 904
                        Vehicle speed - 0 mph
                        Ignition advance - -28.5 deg
                        Intake air temp - 99
                        Maf flow rate - 0.5lb/min
                        Throttle - 0.0%
                        Bank1 - sensor1- 02S Output 0.080v

Load Value - 2.7%
                        Coolant - 190
                        STFT - Bank 1 - 0.0%
                        LTFT - Bank 1 - -7.0%
                        Manifold Pressure - 3.3 in.hg
                        Engine RPM - 2631
                        Vehicle speed - 35 mph
                        Ignition advance - -15.0 deg
                        Intake air temp - 102
                        Maf flow rate - 0.4lb/min
                        Throttle - 0.0%
                        Bank1 - sensor1- 02S Output 0.005v

I guess what I notice right away is all the timing it is pulling. Still have to learn what normal 02 readings are, so not too sure on whether those readings are good or not. I did get a code this time, it registered a P0300 (random multiple misfire). I had this code before, so hopefully it tells some of you more then it tells me along with these parameters.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I hope this takes me one step closer to getting this car running correctly.

Comment

After doing some more research, it appears that I'm running VERY lean. I'm guessing this is why it's pulling so much timing? I'll be checking the injectors as soon as I get some free time.

What would cause it to cut back on fuel with such a lean mixture? Maybe I should throw the factory computer back in and check it again to see what readings that produces compared to the tuned one.

Comment

Those snapshots do not appear to be very lean, but its VERY hard to tell with the way you have these scan's... We need something more sequential to see whats going on unfortunately...

Your highest load value of 50% or so, is .895mV on the O2 sensor... Thats fine... my car at WOT reads 12.8:1 on my wideband, and the narroband is around .900 to .910mV so your not that lean.

A negative number on timing is 100% normal for a 96 ECM, thats just how they displayed it, its not running at a negative 24*... its 24* advanced.

Got Lope?
                            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Ok, been busy with a lot lately and only had time to move my car from one spot to another before I went on vacation. When I parked it, it was running. I went out to start it up, it cranked but didn't fire. I started pushing it to where I wanted it, then decided to jump in and crank it again cause pushing it was a pain in the ass. It fired right up. What kind of **** is that? Maybe there is a bad connection somewhere on the chassis? What the hell would cause it to just not run though?

I'm probably getting a 94 or 95 (not sure) Beretta with fairly fresh paint and a very straight body for $200. It needs an engine, so I'm going to pull the 3400 and put it in there. If it still has the problem, then I know it's something with the engine. If the problem goes away, then I guess my Z need a thorough wire inspection or something along those lines.

Then the Z will get a 3500...

Comment

Working...
                              X