need help with massive oil leak on back of block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved : need help with massive oil leak on back of block

before i get home and start tearing into my engine again, i want to see if anyone has any insight as to what could leak oil in the back of the block(between engine and trans). i tightened the 3 plugs around the cam housing on the back and wrapped them in teflon tape. what else coould be leaking that would cause about 4 quarts of oil to pour out in less than 10 seconds. pics would be a big help. reference my last post: http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...=102225&page=7
    Last edited by stewartfn18; 07-07-2009, 11:44 AM.
    MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

I was going to guess distributor plug o-ring until I read 4 qts in 10 seconds... I can't think of anything that would leak that fast short of a giant hole in your oil pan.

BTW...I tried your link and it didnt work for me.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Comment

thanks for the response, the link should work now.
      MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

Comment

That giant freeze plug at the end of the cam gallery: that's just a press-in freeze plug, not a bolt-down plate like on 2nd gens? Sorry I've never taken a 3rd gen apart so I dunno. I feel like with a leak that big, you should notice real quick where it's coming from. There's only so many places it could be.. but that's quite a large volume for such a short time.

You already checked the rear main the first time you pulled it?

Stop by your local Autozone and see if they have the oil pump primer tool for rent:

you just pull the oil pump drive and that attaches to a drill and slips onto the pump driveshaft. What's special about the tool is it also seals the top of the bore.

After you pull the motor and flexplate, try priming it with that, should be easier to spot it.
        -Tony | gtsdurango.net
        '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
        '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
        '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
        '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

Do you have any images of the back of the block that you took while you were doing the build? It is rare and improbable...but very possible...to install an Oil Pump Drive...and forget to put the new PTFE "O" Ring on the thing. As for blowing out the seal around the cam cover plate...(Is it REALLY like a big Freeze or Core Plug?)...the thread below (pretty contemporary...but about leaking core plugs, too) may be helpful to you...even if the camshaft cover arrangement on your engine design is significantly different:

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

thanks for the responses. the only pic i have if the back of the block is this one. its not the exact one im using, but its the same thing.

ill go to autozone after the engine is out to see if they have that tool. like gutless said, itll be the easient to find where the leak is coming from.
            Last edited by stewartfn18; 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I am not familiar with your particular block but it certainly looks like you are missing a plug in the upper right of that picture...

Comment

like i said, thats is not the exact block that im using. on the one that im using all three of those holes were plugged, and the plugs were tightened and wrapped with teflon tape.

Comment

Smokin' Joe Frazier... I'll be damned ...it really IS a Freeze Type Plug sealing up the cam hole! LOL...

When you use the Pre-Oiler Tool suggested earlier...it ought to be fairly easy to spy the leak(s) then. Keep a couple of quarts of oil on hand so you can keep your oil level topped off and not wind up pumping it dry by accident while searching things out.

Comment

good thinking. ill have to head to autozone anyway.

Comment

those oil pump shafts dont work on a 60* motor, there was someone on here who made one for a 60*

The only things that would leak back there are those plugs the cam plug as noted and also the distributor plug o-ring too... If that was left out it can easily leak that much oil out... its a main galley that goes right through there.

Also without any pictures of the carnage, we are about as blind as a bat as far as figuring out whats leaking.

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                        those oil pump shafts dont work on a 60* motor, there was someone on here who made one for a 60*

The only things that would leak back there are those plugs the cam plug as noted and also the distributor plug o-ring too... If that was left out it can easily leak that much oil out... its a main galley that goes right through there.

Also without any pictures of the carnage, we are about as blind as a bat as far as figuring out whats leaking.
                        yea i understand. can someone elaborate on what this distributor o ring is? its not the oil pump drive gear is it. if so thats no where the leak is coming from. you can only see the leak from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by stewartfn18 View Post
                          yea i understand. can someone elaborate on what this distributor o ring is? its not the oil pump drive gear is it. if so thats no where the leak is coming from. you can only see the leak from the bottom.
                          distributor o-ring = oil pump drive o-ring
                          -Tony | gtsdurango.net
                          '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
                          '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
                          '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
                          '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

yea thats on top and thats not where its coming from. its for sure coming from in between the block and trans

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                              those oil pump shafts don't work on a 60* motor, there was someone on here who made one for a 60*....

He's right. I just got through designing and building a functioning Oil Pump Priming Tool (OPPT) prototype that WILL work on the 60* engines with Hex Drive Shafts for the Oil Pump Drive. The link below has all the information you need to make your own from the images attached on Entry #35. Good Luck on making your own...

--==Bob==--

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X