Spark but no detonation at all..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression is about 100-120.

Then again, I am not sure if I am taking it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasguy View Post
      Compression is about 100-120.

Then again, I am not sure if I am taking it right.
      to do a compression check correctly, you need to remove ALL of the spark plugs, make sure your battery is going to spin the motor fast enough, it has been run recently(or else a lifter is probably going to be collapsed, giving you a bad reading), then go and check every cylinder in whichever order you want...

if it is 100-120, the motors getting tired, but it should be running.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

100-120 was with all spark plugs in the engine but the one I was testing. Also, the belt was on too.

I am sure that all the lifters have no oil in them by now, since the engine never ran once I installed new lifters, there is no way for me to make lifters firmer with oil inside. I don't know if all the cranking has sprayed additional oil onto them..
        Last edited by Texasguy; 07-08-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

i don't think having the belt on or off will do much to the reading. and yes the fact that it hasn't ran since the lifters were replaced will be an issue.

but

since you are getting 100-120(on all cylinders or did you just one?) even with collapsed lifters, i'd say it has more than enough compression to run.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Texas Guy...

After sorting out and trying all suggestions regarding cylinder compression issues...if those work...great news and good luck...if not... and hopefully before you succumb to any self-destructive impulses or resort to any "external" pyrotechnics, I'll make one last suggestion that you take one last stab at the ignition side of this problem and then I'll let it go. None of these items suggested for replacement will break the bank, but here goes:

Replace the Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor, and Points (if any exist in the 3100 design).

Using an Engine Ignition Wiring Diagram, trace out each new Spark Plug Wire one by one from the diagram, starting with the #1 Cylinder Spark Plug Wire and working your way through the proper Firing Order back to the Distributor Cap, making certain the wire cap connectors are all nicely seated.

and then... "Once More Into The Breach..." Try starting that PITA engine once again...

Comment

points? good god is this the 70's? gm stop using points in 73 or 74...
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                points? good god is this the 70's? gm stop using points in 73 or 74...
                and Points (if any exist in the 3100 design).

My advice to this "point", has been under the heading of general automotive mechanics...never having owned or worked on the 3100 engine...I wasn't certain they would not be involved...
                Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

He doesn't actually have a 3100, just a standard Gen1 3.1L. There are no Gen2 or Gen3 engines that ever came with a distributor.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

If all else fails haul the van to a trained mechanic and have him put the distrubtor in. Then you won't have to do anything crazy and It won't cost that much. It sounds like you did most of the work so at least you saved the labor on that part of the job.

Comment

Good, I'll buy another set of everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X