X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : real bad problem! rotten egg smell

2003 pontiac grand am
    3400 v6

so the other night my car started running very odd out of nowhere.
    couldnt get above 20kmh then it backfired and i got all my power back for like 10 seconds then went back to running like crap

at idle it will bounce around and sound like it has a big camshaft

exhaust smells like rotten eggs. exhaust tips turned white

at idle all i can hear is the CAI sucking air like crazy trying to breath!

took the car to mufflerman and they said it was the ICM so i changed that and still no change its still doing it!
    engine throws a p0300 code mutipule missfire detected

i want to say its my cat converter. am i wrong?

any help appreciated!
    Last edited by rsf98; 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM.

My 3400 Swap Page

Yes, it is most likely a clogged cat converter. Bang on it with a hammer and you will probably hear stuff bouncing around inside.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

just knocked on it.. no rattles...

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

cut it off anyway. is it the original one? and thats about the only thing that will make that nasty sulfur smell....
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

so we've cut the cat off.. and no change. still idles like a drag car and give it gas and have no power. just wants to shut off... could this be a fuel pressure problem?

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

How old is the fuel filter? I'd look into cheap things first. But, you can take off the vacuum line from the FPR and if fuel comes out, then you know that is bad as well.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

fuel filter has been changed pretty recently and tried the vacuum line on the fpr and no fuel comes out

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

can you smell fuel there?
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

smell fuel at the fpr?

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

Originally posted by rsf98 View Post
                    smell fuel at the fpr?
                    yes, it might not actually gush fuel out if you pull the vacuum line off while running, but you may get a whiff of gasoline, telling you its not completely FUBAR yet, but it will be soon
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

unplugged the MAF sensor and it runs like a champ right now

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

well i'd say you found your problem.. but isn't the MAF and IAT connected on the same plug? if so, its going to be running rich until you either get the MAF replaced or at least hook up the IAT
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

iat and maf have their own connectors... but yea it may run rich until the maf is replaced....thanks for the help though i appreciate it

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

no problem, thats what the community is here for...
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Are you using any engine oils that are designed for racing engines, like Valvoline Racing Oil? These types of oils have fancy, metal hardening additives like Zinc Di-Alkyl Dithio-Phosphate that do wonders to protect metal parts from wear...but play havoc on heated O2 Sensors and wind up coating the Platinum Screens in Catalytic Converters, rendering them clogged and useless. In some cases..the residues can emulate the chemistry of Hydrogen Sulphides and hence...the smell of "Rotten Eggs" (By the way...Inhaling too much of this gas is toxic). Hope this is the case, because the solution is very simple: Just stop using any motor oils with these exotic additives...
                              Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 06-27-2009, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X