3400 with little to no comp after top end job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 with little to no comp after top end job

so here is my problem. i have an 01 3400 that i got hot and warped the heads. had them machined and a valve job done, replaced all gaskets and it now will not run on its own. it will not idle and it only runs 60 lbs of compression. there is no evidence of water in the oil and there is no oil in the radiator. i had originally thought that too much material was removed from the heads but even without the pushrods on the engine it still only reads 60 lbs per hole. the engine has 130k miles and has been driven by my grandmother its whole life. ive gotta figure this thing out. help please! is the block shot? what else could be wrong with this pile????

did you clean the valves good? if it had a valve job, with the old valves, there could have been groves in the valves that and ridges in the valve seats, and after the valve job, the groves are letting compression seep. does the compression drop quick or does it hold for a bit? my uncles 3100 had this problem after a valve job and some new valves fixed it. might be something to look into.. and im sure other people will join in with better ideas.
    sigpic

Comment

do a leak down test it gives much more information and you can often hear where the leak is coming from. Or at least pressurize the cylinder with air an see if you can find a leak out of one of the intake or exhaust ports.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by 1meanz View Post
        did you clean the valves good? if it had a valve job, with the old valves, there could have been groves in the valves that and ridges in the valve seats, and after the valve job, the groves are letting compression seep. does the compression drop quick or does it hold for a bit? my uncles 3100 had this problem after a valve job and some new valves fixed it. might be something to look into.. and im sure other people will join in with better ideas.
        it holds...and thats what confuses me. it will hold longer than i have patience to wait. but its only 60 lbs!!! thats a load of crap!

Comment

i do wanna do a leakdown test but i have yet to aquire a hose to use to pressurize the cylinder. i think im gonna sell it or trade it as is. its on craigslist now

Comment

Did you keep the pushrods in order?

'Cause if you didn't, then bent valves are a possibility.

Comment

yes i kept them in order. i used an egg carton. kinda crude but it worked. thanks for the advice guys but i just sold the car a little bit ago. thanks for all the help though!

Comment

you might not have lined up the crank and cam shafts properly... one tooth off one way or another and your engine would be hooped. You'd have valves partially open with the piston at TDC and all sorts of things... that would definitely cause zero compression.

1987 Camaro Sport Coupe

2.8 liter V6 MPFI
                175,xxx Kms
                5 speed stick shift

Comment

i never had the cam or crank out of the engine. i only pulled the heads off

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_smith View Post
                    i do wanna do a leakdown test but i have yet to aquire a hose to use to pressurize the cylinder. i think im gonna sell it or trade it as is. its on craigslist now

Here is some technical and procedural information that might make a difference in the outcome of the test results...

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X