Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help :/

Hey, First post, now, i have a problem,

did my LIMG, now when to start the car, and the sound of no compression wafted over me.... i need a few questions asked,

1. what is the DEFINITE pushrod order for the back of the engine and the front side?
    i have

E I E I I E

and E = Exhaust and I = Intake

E I I E I E

and, the car ran nicely before the change, although, the oil was WHITE. i dont know if the headgasket has failed me in between the time of the change and now? or what.... its a 3400 LA1 V6.

here is some more information pulled from my post on yahoo! answers

I just completed a LIMG (lower intake manifold gasket) chage on my 99 olds alero coupe, the car ran nicely before the change, now the car sounds like it has no compression on 5 cylinders, it never started, just hucked and farted like it wanted to, and keeps making loud pops out of the intake, followed by exhaust smoke, and normal exhaust smell, the pushrods are in the correct orders, and the gasket is in correctly, now, when i put the rockers on, they depress the valves slightly, and 2 depress all the way down, why is this? (this is on one side btw) but the opposite side does the same thing, two depress all the way down, and the rest depress slightly, why is this and what do i do to correct it?

The firing order is correct, there seems to be no compression on at least 4 cylinders, because one is firing, i was told 14 Ft LBS on the rockers is the correct torque spec.. help?

i pulled all the pushrods out of the engine, that step is necessary to complete the step of removing the old gasket, the gasket is behind the set of push rods, and you need to remove them all to get the old gasket out, and the new revised metal one in

Well, im SURE i did not mes the pushrod order up, is there a way to make the rockers touch, but like (sit) on the valves and depress the proper ones for the firing and timing order of the engine

The intake pushrods are the short ones and the exhaust are the longer ones. Make sure that they are like this. If the pushrods are miss-matched then one of two things happen, the car will not start or it will start and be very, very noisy. I have done a ton of these because, I work at shop so I am very familiar with them. Your torque spec is 15-20 lbs-ft, don't worry about the lifters being depressed and what not either thats the way it goes together. Also at work depending how the car ran and tell-tail signs we usually do head gaskets it maybe that yours are bad too. When you put the pushrods back in try to put them back in the cylinder they came from at all posible. If the HG's are bad make sure you bring the heads to a machine shop and resurface them. Also get new head bolts as well and make sure everything is super, super clean before reassembly. I hope this kinda helps you out.

-Gary
    -Gary
    1983 Camaro 2.8l not much done yet
    1999 Chevy Prizm - typical bolt-ons

Comment

Some of the valves are being opened because the cam is opening them. If you turn the engine some, the valves that were open will close and other valves will open instead. One of the best things to do when working on a part of an engine that can cause big damage (read putting exhaust and intake pushrods in the wrong spot) is to rotate the engine with a ratchet before turning the key to make sure that nothing is wrong (read pistons saying hello to valves from wrong pushrods) because you simply cannot turn an engine over by hand hard enough to bend valves like the starter can. Even if I know I put something together and timed it right, I still rotate it by hand to make absolutely positive. It's like the saying for cutting wood, measure twice, cut once.
      Last edited by pocket-rocket; 03-25-2009, 10:41 PM.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

New Issue, the car has been rinning great for a few months, and i now recently needed to replace the spark plugs, any input on what i should use i know about the waste spark system and the plugs that i have in it now fouled after 4,000 miles, any input, please dont be pricey

Comment

Don't use Bosch or any platinum plugs in it, use only bare bones cheap ACDelco plugs or the more expensive Iridium's.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

i did Hence the sudden erosion of the plugs, and the severe misfiring

Comment

Working...
            X