Replacing the lower IMG on my Malibu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the lower IMG on my Malibu

My '97 3100 Malibu with 118K miles has the leaking IMG problem. I got it tore down to the lower IMG and I can see where the gasket was cracked on the radiator-side head at the transaxle. It leaked at the transaxle mostly but seems to have been leaking at the front too. None of the LIMG bolts were very tight so I think it had a vacuum leak too and might explain why the car didn't run quite as smooth as it should.

I've checked fuel pressure and it was 41 psi and holding. I checked compression and it was 180 on all cylinder but cylinder 6 was about 162-170. I think this is the slightly defective from the factory piston that cause the "piston slap" when cold. Anyway, my headgaskets and engine's mechanic condition should be good.

I'm using Fel-pro PermaDry Plus with new bolts. I'm putting in all the other new parts like the thermostat and plugs. The Dex-cool caused no internal corrosion, so new Dex-cool is going back in.

I also bought 6 new AC Delco injectors. I didn't want to spend that much money ( I'm up to about $500 now) but I figure injectors are only expected to last about 150K and it's too much trouble getting to them to have to replace any of them later. Plus despite cleaning them, I don't think my injectors ever worked quite right. I paid $270 for the injectors so I thought that was a good deal. What does anyone else think?

I'm somewhat experienced and very knowledgable at auto repair and the only thing so far that has slightly tripped me up was the O2 sensor at the firewall. It has a blue plastic cord that loops into the connector and holds the sensors pigtail wire away from the exhaust. The connector was secured by a push pin molded into it that went through a bracket on the DIS. I couldn't see how the connector would disconnect without breaking the loop. I was trying to pull the push pin out and I broke it off. Then I could see where the O2 sensors pigtail probably could've been disconnect before the blue wire cord and unlooped, but the other side of the connector looks like it's still locked together with that blue cord that the O2 sensor pigtail looped through. It would seem like the connector would've had to come off the DIS mount or disconnected at both ends before the DIS could've been remoived. Like I said, I broke the push pin off where it mounted to the DIS, so now I need to fix the connector mount so my O2 sensor wire wont be laying on the exhaust. Fixing GM weather pack connectors is not a skill I've picked up as of yet. How are people getting this O2 sensor connection apart without breaking it???

I just noticed that the new Fel-pro bolts have blue threadlocker only on the 4 long bolts (the vertical ones?) and no threadlocker on the 4 short bolts (diagonal or coolant passage bolts?).

Is threadlocker on the diagonal bolts not necesary because of the higher torque spec? Seems like to me that it would be best if all the bolts had threadlocker, especially the diagnal bolts sealing the coolant passages. Now I'm going to have to buy $5 threadlocker ? I bought new bolts partly figuring I wouldn't have to buy threadlocker too. Does anyone know if the GM version has threadlocker on all bolts? Should I put it on the other 4 or will it be OK with out it?

Comment

you know that little plastic loop kinda pulls out... it just takes a little effort. as for the thread locker, if it's not there, it doesnt need to be.

Comment

Yeah I later figured out that the plastic loop would pull through without breaking it. At the time I first was disassembing everything, I couldn't see it very clearly and also I didn't want to break the plastic loop.

I was thinking about the threadlocker last night on the diagonal bolts and that it wouldn't be necessary since they're tighten to 18-lb ft and that's more than the approx. 10 lb ft break torque of threadlocker blue. Plus they'd probably never come loose at the torque level they're tightened to. Then I figured what the heck and put some on them anyway.

Also in the Felpro-bolt kit the diagnol bolts had a 13 mm hex instead of the 10mm of the others. Good thing I had a 13mm crow's foot.

Thanks for the reply and advise.

Comment

i should be thanking you... my reply was so vague an ininformed (although suffcient)
          your like a fucking genious... look i cant even spell for christs sakes! HA

Comment

Well I was installing the upper intake manifold with the 12 bolts it has and some of them maybe 3 or so have a stud on top. It's not really clear where the stud ones go. I don't remember which spot has the stud ones or have any pictures. There's 6 bolts on each side. Does anyone know which holes take the stud bolts for the radiator side and the firewall side starting at say the throttle body end?

Comment

At least 1 of the studded bolts is for the alternator bracket, so figure out which hole lines up with the bracket. Depending on the vehicle, there may be 2 brackets...
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Yeah I think I have one alternator bracket and the studed bolt goes into the l first position on the passenger/firewall side. Problem is I still have about 2 other studs that I don't know where they go. I'd like to just put them all in in their proper place and torque the upper manifold. If only I had a top pic of the 12 bolt style manifold for reference..

Comment

honestly i cant remember seeing a set up with three... sometimes you see one on the furthest left lower corner (if your standing in front of it.) and top furthest right, and definately most set-ups will have an alternator bracket.. which car is this.. and what year?

Comment

Yeah there was only two studs. One was for the alternator bracket and the other went next to it but didn't go to anything on my application (97 Malibu). It'd make sense that the other stud would go at the other end of the same odd bank cyl head by the throttle body as there's a hold down for the plug wires, but it seemed to take a bolt there.

Well I got it done tonight with the new Delphi injector installed, and the car runs really smooth. I've had it since new and I don't think it has every ran any smoother. I know it hasn't ran this smooth in over 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X