Mystery 2.8 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Mystery 2.8 oil leak

I have an '84 Blazer 4x4 with the 2.8 engine and it's developed an oil leak, but we're not sure where it's coming from.

A few months back I changed the oil for the first time (it's a winter beater and I haven't owned it that long) and had to really twist hard to remove the oil filter. At this time there was no leak. After refilling the crankcase and starting the engine, a noticeable amount of oil started dripping onto the driveway. Since the Blazer was also down with bad brakes at this time I made a note of it but didn't do anything about it.

Yesterday we tried to find the leak. We removed the old filter and all signs pointed to a proper installation - no old gasket left behind, no overtightening leading to gasket distortion, etc. We installed a new filter (once tightened normally and once tightened only by hand) and the leak was still there. After looking closely the leak appears to becoming from either the back side of the filter adapter or behind it, at about the 9:30 to 10:00 position when the filter is viewed head-on through the wheelwell.

Any ideas? The threaded hollow stud that the filter attaches to seems tight, but is it possible that when I had to really work hard to remove the old filter I somehow loosened it and oil's getting past it? I have no idea what the adapter actually looks like so this may be a meaningless question. How difficult is it to get at the adapter with the engine in the truck? It looks like the crossmember and engine mount but interfere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brad

Oil Leak...

Hi Brad,
    It is possible that your oil sensor has started leaking. I just pulled out a 2.8 MFI engine out of my '87 Beretta and the sensor is just above the oil filter and off slightly to the side. My mom had a '74 Vega and we went through 5 or 6 of the sensors, due to higher oil pressure, because the head had restrictors added to reduce oil volume up top. The Vega was a sleeved block also. I am also presently working on 2000 Dodge Stratus that my step daughter owns. I replaced a leaking one in October and the new one has started leaking already. Anyway, just a suggestion to check... duane

Duane Koss / Fort Sumner, NM (1983 S-10 owner)

PS... I have removed the adaptor from my 2.8 engine here and I would assume the same adaptor is on the S-10 version. I can send a photo of it tomorrow, if it would be of interest, and the backside.

Comment

Thanks, Duane. I'll check the sender when I get the chance.

Brad

Comment

Looks like the culprit was a bad gasket between the filter adapter and the block. My brother removed the adapter earlier this week and told me the gasket was brittle and broken in 2 places so he replaced it and also put a new o-ring under the mounting bolt, and so far that seems to have done the trick. Since I had to really crank on the old filter to remove it perhaps I caused the gasket to finally crack.

He had to remove the engine mount to get to the adapter, though. I've owned a number of 1980s GM vehicles over the years and at times they were hell to work on.

Brad

Comment

Could be the "O" ring on the threaded shaft that the filter screws on. You'll have to remove the motor mount and take the entire oil filter adapter off and check the O ring and gasket.
          '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
          X