No announcement yet.

3100 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front sensor is not required for it to run.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
      The front sensor is not required for it to run.
      Thanks! I really think it is time to try another pcm and go from there. It just does not make any sense. Ive swapped probably 6-8 3.1s in various cars and always started 1st time. But not this time!! Have no idea if it would have ran before though so there could be issues with the computer.

Comment

Well I changed the pcm today and still getting the exact same problem. Think I am just going to pull the pushrods tonight and make sure they are in correct order. Seems wierd that I would see that good of compression though if they were wrong.

Comment

Where did you buy the 7x CrankPS from? If from autozone rip it out and buy one from somewhere else.

But that shouldn't make it back fire through the intake I wouldn't think. It can back fire out the back from a bad CPS though.
          Last edited by IsaacHayes; 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM.
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Don't know if this has any relivance but, I had a bad ICM once and it would start and idle fine but if you tried to give it any gas it would start poping through the exhaust and back firing.

It finally bit the dust all togather one day and then wouldn't start at all...

Comment

Ok you say you have spark, good compression and fuel pressure, and your plug wires are in the correct order, right? I'm still not sure if you have the wires in the right order, but assuming that they are, then you need to check the fuel injectors and make sure they are cycling. Even with the proper and working ECM, I've see a 3.1/3100 have 6 bad injectors. If the resistance is in the injectors is off they won't work. Who knows maybe someone change the injectors and put the wrong type in (peak and hold instead of high resstance ones or whatever). Anyway based on what you've said you need to look into the injector wiring and see that they are being cycled on and off, it's the only thing it could b e. .

Comment

It was the injectors. Being it sat for 2-3 years it does not surprise me. Few were very low resistance and a couple seem to be stuck wide open. Installed the ones from the donor engine and fired right up. Runs extremely well.

Just need to disassemble the alternator now to see why the charging post is loose. Been driving it the last few days now.

Thanks for all the help on this one!!

Comment

Cool. you had eliminated everything but the injectors. thanks for following up about the fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X