Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Buick Century 3.1 - Milky coolant loss

Hi

I have a 1997 Buick Century Custom 3.1. Every 1-2 weeks it requires a gallon of coolant. The oil cap looks yellowish and the dipstick shows an unusually high oil level.

It started doing this a month ago.

Will a LIM gasket replacement alone resolve this problem?

Also, it recently started misfiring at idle and hesitates at low rpms. Runs perfectly once it gets moving.

I should also add that it starts rough and the fuel gauge/sender is wonky, in case it matters. I have no maintenance history on the car at all. The coolant was flushed when I got the car in November with green stuff (it had green coolant in it when I bought it).

Comment

If you tear it apart and see that the LIM gasket is faulty, that will probably be your answer.

Comment

If the HG was also going out, would it overheat? The temp needle never goes above half way.

Comment

You need to quit driving the vehicle until this problem is resolved. Coolant in the oil will quickly destroy the bearings... if it hasn't already.

Comment

One shop quoted $550, but the one I trust more quoted $720, so its there now being fixed. They dug into it and agreed that LIM gasket was the cause.

Should be done soon with new oil, coolant, and gaskets.

Comment

Fixed! $860 including belt tensioner.

Comment

Working...
              X