car wot start??!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : car wot start??!?

my 94 grand am v6 3100 was running a little rough so when i got home i put it in neutral and it died... now when i go to start it it just clunks and all the dash lights go out...
    I looked at all of my connections and they seem to be fine buit my altenator is makeing a electronic whirr noise.... my question is if the altenator goes out would the not let my car start?? my battery is a little low but not in the red zone... i have fully bright lights, radio, chimes everything... any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by s_miller_420; 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM. Reason: (eye kant spel!)

all the alt does is charge the battery, it will run just fine with out one but it wont run for long lol.

to me that sounds like a dead battery or a bad connection on your battery. i would disconnect the battery (maybe clean it too), reconnect it then try it. if you get nothing i would try and jump it.

IF it does start after that let it idle in your driveway for 10 or 15 mins with the lights and radio on and see what it does, if it dies after a while and has the same symptoms i would say its the alt.. a lot of places can test them too
    sigpic
    88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

well ive cleaned all of the connections on the battery and the starter.... nothing! ive tried jumping it and still just clunks like the starter wants to work! im gunna pull the starter and have it tested... i've also noticed my car is leaking oil from under the front exaust mani... any ideas what could be leaking?? i just put on a new cylinderhead on it so i really doubt the headgasket... because i did the 33ft/lb and extra 90* torque... but it says in my manual to use thread sealer but the bolts said dont so i didnt could this be part of the problem?? any input is greatly appreciated! thank you!

*update* Well had starter & altenator tested they were fine... tried turning my engine over (crankshaft pully bolt) and nothing either way... sooo0o0o its siezed... found a 3100 for $275 going to drop in soon.
      Last edited by s_miller_420; 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
      X