oil pressure droping??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure droping??

Allright well, I have a 94 Grand am GT with a 3100 v6 and 4t60e trans. the rear cylinder head had cracked mixing the oil and water together, so i removed both cylinder heads, (not knowing it wasnt a blown head gasket) and cleaned out the motor using diesel (heard from many people that thats ok to do), did 3 oil and filter changes, seemed fine... except a small growling noise i atributed to my exaust... but now after my car gets good and warm the oil pressure drops down to almost nothing sometimes nothing and my check guages light comes on...??? could the diesel ruined my oil pump?? how do i test the sensor? and better yet where is it? any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Are you sure that the head was cracked? Sounds like the symptoms of a LIM gasket failure, a very common problem with these engines. You can verify your oil pressure by picking up a few fittings and installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge between the engine and stock sending unit that is located on the front of the block near the oil filter and starter.

A growling noise does not sound good. The coolant in the oil may have already killed your bearings. If so, your engine will likely die prematurely. My experience has been that the cam bearings are the first to go sometimes followed by a broken camshaft.

Not what you want to hear but if you don't find a different cause of the low oil pressure you may want to start planning for a rebuild or replacement engine. Avoid letting it run when the pressure is at "0" as it only increases the wear on bearings and the possibility of a major failure.
    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

yea i had the head vacume and pressure checked... front was fine but rear was cracked from the 3rd rocker stud to the 5th but about an inch toward the back of the head.... the LIM gasket had been replaced about 2 years before that... and when i removed it do remove the head it was deffinately crushed and leaked alittle... i looked at my engine and it has oil leaking out of one side from the lifter valley/LIMand i cant really see the other... i used the black rtv that came with the gasket set... but checked my oil and was only down 1/4 quart... could the leak be causing the drop in pressure? any sugestions on what rtv to use and how to do it?? is it ok to just glob it on or should i just use a 3/8" bead like i did? because my '95 haynes manual sux and is kinda destroyed...thx for any help and all the help ive goten so far!

Comment

Working...
      X