Parts lifetime? (waterpump etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts lifetime? (waterpump etc)

While doing the topend swap & else to my 92 3.1 MPFI, witch has 100k miles, i'm wondering should i change:

- Water pump?
    - Oil pump?
    - Chain & accesories

How long does those parts usually last before wearing out?

Thank you

I changed the water pump on my 2001 Impala with 195,500 miles a few days ago, and I did it just because I was replacing the radiator and thought I might as well go ahead and do it at the same time. There was no problem with the original.

Your water pump is obviously older than my age-wise but I would say as long as the quality of the coolant has been decent it should still have some good life left in it. On the other hand, water pumps are cheap and easy to change, and you can throw the old one in (which you know works) a box to have as a spare to carry with you on long trips.

AFAIK, my original oil pump and timing chain are still OK. I drove the car to work this morning.

Comment

I've had these water pumps fail anywhere from 80k to 140k, take it as you must. If you get a replacement, DO NOT get the model with the aftermarket stamped steel impeller (with 5 slots) they are not sufficient.
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Rhedalert View Post
        I've had these water pumps fail anywhere from 80k to 140k, take it as you must. If you get a replacement, DO NOT get the model with the aftermarket stamped steel impeller (with 5 slots) they are not sufficient.

Thats not the "aftermarket" version... Thats the Revised GM version... Take apart a 03+ 3400 or 3500, they have that new impeller, Actually I am currently running one of those and it is sufficent for me.

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I put one of those stamped WPs on my 97 Lumina. Seems to work ok.

Comment

That's interesting, I didn't know GM switched to that. Some people have experienced overheating from using those units. I seem to remember them being all DOHC motors, so they must flow just enough for the OHV motors, but not for the DOHC engines. The people experiencing the overheating issue remedied it by going with a reman pump with the original style impellar. In fact, I'm pretty sure this was discussed on this forum in the past.
            Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
            2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB

Comment

Originally posted by Rhedalert View Post
              That's interesting, I didn't know GM switched to that. Some people have experienced overheating from using those units. I seem to remember them being all DOHC motors, so they must flow just enough for the OHV motors, but not for the DOHC engines. The people experiencing the overheating issue remedied it by going with a reman pump with the original style impellar. In fact, I'm pretty sure this was discussed on this forum in the past.
              I know what you are saying but I have to agree with the other guys I got the stamped ones in the 3400 skylark and the tgpse with no issues? I dunno you can't really find those water pumps anymore unless you go the the yardzzz and getem. Maybe the pep zone is the only ones left who carry them? dunno

Water pumps are fun they break when you least expect them to, kind of like power steering pumps.
              2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
              455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

Thats for all the water pump replys, Now, opinion's about the oil pump & chain?

Comment

Originally posted by weba View Post
                  Thats for all the water pump replys, Now, opinion's about the oil pump & chain?
                  Originally posted by 2k1Impala View Post
                  AFAIK, my original oil pump and timing chain are still OK. I drove the car to work this morning.
                  Same as I said before except my Impala now has about 1,100 more miles on it, 196,600 when I drove it to work this morning. I have always run nothing but Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in my engine. It is VERY quiet when idling.

Comment

Weba.......if the car is apart replace it all, failure of components vary based on driving habits, maintenance intervals as well as component variation. You are not going to get a statistically significant sample of responses on component life to determine if you parts will last longer than they have already. Replace them with good quality parts and you won't have to worry about failure.

Ken
                    2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
                    455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

the oil pump and timing chain are usually good for the life of the motor with very few exceptions. Like Ken said, if the engine's apart for a rebuild or overhaul or whatever, then go ahead and replace them, but don't go out of your way to do this for no other reason.

As for the water pump, the problems definetly seem to be limited to the DOHC engines, especially with the fact that GM's now using this style. I do not personally believe the new style flows as much as the original one, but that original style may have been overkill for the pushrod motors to begin with, especially since the newer cars use thinner radiators.

Some reference to what I'm talking about:

Saw some other threads on it too but I'm at work, so not much time here.

I actually wouldn't mind experimenting with it, since in theory it would take less power to turn this pump when the engine is running.
                      Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e

Comment

Several years ago, at 120k, my '94 Corsica's water pump bearing felt loose. I replaced it preemptively. It probably would've run for quite a big longer, but I was about to make a 1000+ mile road trip and didn't want to chance it.

The wife's '01 Lumina has 177,000 miles on the original water pump.

I replaced the timing chain on the '94 Corsica a few months ago- not due to failure, but because the timing cover gasket was leaking coolant. At 160,000 miles, it was pretty loose. There was visible wear only on the top sprocket (the bottom sprocket looked new), and the plastic on the chain guide was starting to come apart.

Can't say about oil pumps.

Comment

Working...
                        X