Trouble code question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble code question

Ive had the SES light on for a couple days, on a 2001 Grand Prix. I just got a scanner and checked it and got a code P1404. I searched the internet and found a site that said "P1404 EGR Valve Stuck Closed".
    Is this correct?

NO. It's the code for the EGR valve being stuck OPEN. Tend's to be a false code in a lot of cases and is something GM acknowledges and has a solution for. Reflashing the computer in your car.
    Possible reason (very likely) for the false P1404 code is that the plastic piston of the EGR valve position instrument (LVDT?) wears over time and starts reading a different position at valve closed than what it was when the EGR valve was first installed.
    Some people have replaced the EGR valves to no avail , only to still have the code. I would recommend taking your EGR off and cleaning it very well with Carb cleaner , reinstalling it , clearing your codes and then see if you get it again. GL.

Comment

Thanks for the response. The car only had 35,000 miles on it, so Im kinda confused why it would be having some problems right now. I was going to take it off and spray some carb cleaner in it, but wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions.
      Also, would this problem cause the car to stall on start up? Every once and a while it will start and then stall right away. Could these be connected?

Comment

Working...
      X