help..which OBD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help..which OBD?

I recently purchased a 94 Olds Cutlass Ciera with the 3100. I get a CEL that stays on for a while, then goes off. I would like to find out what the code is, but can't figure out what I need. Under the dash there is a 12 pin connector but it does not have the test pin so I can't short it to get the code. Autozone says they cannot read the code. Is this the OBD 1.5? Is there a relatively inexpensive way for me to get the data? Thanks in advance for the help and this is a great site for information and advice.

Yes, it is OBD 1.5. As far as reading the code, I always thought that Autozone should be able to. But then again, I hardly even took my car in to get checked.

You could always try the dealership. There are some around me that will read/reset codes for free, while others will charge hourly rates for it. Its worth a try to ask around though.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Paper clip wont work. If you have a laptop and an ALDL cable you can use TunerPro RT.

But it sounds like the EGR is causing the code if I had to guess. Take it off (2 bolts) and work the valves up and down with carb cleaner, making sure they move smoothly and don't stick, then clean the intake passage to make sure it flows all the way to the inside with a wire and carb cleaner.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
      X