No announcement yet.

Valvetrain noise after cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My apologies to everyone for being an ass. I'll try to avoid it in the future... but it's just my nature.

Sappy- my suggestion that the pushrods might not be the correct length wasn't meant to be a comment on your workmanship. See, I've been a heavy equipment mechanic for 13 years, and I've been burned more times than I care to remember by parts that *should* be right. I've learned that when unexpected problems arise, one can't assume that 'new' parts are necessarily 'good' parts.

In my experience, the more obscure (or custom) the part, the more likely you'll run into problems. From 1500 miles away, incorrect pushrod length was my best guess. Looks like I was wrong.

3100-95-modified: I wasn't aware that you had actually laid hands on the engine and checked the lifter preload yourself- must've overlooked that in the 16 pages. I've read enough of your posts that if you say the preload is ok, then I believe that it's ok. So much for my initial hypothesis.

I can understand why ya'll would be looking at lifters at this point- by process of elimination if nothing else. I don't quite understand why they'd fail NOW, when they were apparently working before... but stranger things have happened.

The only other idea I have that I'd like to throw around is this: I've seen, on several occasions, where irregularly worn cam lobes make a noise that sounds a lot like a lifter. I can't suggest any way to confirm this... and it doesn't lead to any satisfactory solution... but I wonder if there's something strange about the lobe profile of this 'custom' re-grind. I've noted that others here have similar aftermarket cams that don't make this noise- but is anybody here running the same part number cam?

Comment

• it baffles me too with the lifters.

i sat down one day and took apart each and every one of the stock lifters that came with the engine and they all looked normal nothing worn or broken, and the ones that went back in got totally cleaned and new springs swaped in so that again baffles me.

ive put new oil twice in the whole span of things in this engine so most of the shit shouldnt be in there anymore and whatever is leftover should be picked up by the magnetic drain plug courtesy of a 98+ j body and the oil filter to clean the oil.

maybe if i have time ill pick up some coffee filters and quadruple filter the oil thats in the pan now which is clean fresh oil but just to get anything that may have made its way to the oil pan.

but yeah the lifters are the last thing i have to check again, ive already took off the timing cover and retimed it just to make sure.

but if the lifters dont solve the problem the stock cam is going back in and im just gonna run the shit out of it and then pursue another avenue of faster vehicles.

if this isnt resolved soon there may be alot of parts for sale most of which were never used.

no hard feelings tractorman i can be kind of an ass myself sometimes. there are times that if i said what was really on my mind id be either shot, stabbed or get my ass kicked.
      Last edited by geldartb; 06-12-2008, 10:45 PM.
      sigpic
      99 Grand Am GT
      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
      515 515 lift 112 lsa
      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

• Maybe it has something to do with you rebuilding the lifters. Have you installed just plain-jane lifters? I know you were looking at picking up those ebay ones, but just wasn't sure if you had tried "stock" lifters previously.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

• when you put the lifters back together, did you pre-soak them in oil for a while?
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• yep i soaked them in oil and primed the engine to fill the lifters up before the key ever got turned. so they were full when i put it back together.

i really cant sit there forever and wait for the lifters to fill up with the engine running it is somewhat of a quiet neighborhood and well yeah the car isnt quiet.

im gonna get those lifters off ebay tonight and get the money order out tomorrow.

the lifters we originally took out were the low mile 7k ones, and with the ones i rebuilt i put them back together the same exact way they came apart.
            sigpic
            99 Grand Am GT
            3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
            515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• well the money order will be on its waythis afternoon for the lifters. so next week hopefully ill have them
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• well i got an email from the guy today said he would be shipping them out today so hopefully ill have them by the end of the week. only working 3 days this week and i get thurs and fri off, i normally work 4 10hr days but since 4th of july falls on our day off we get thurs off instead.

so hopefully they arrive on or before thurs so i can get it sealed back up and pray for miracles or quietness.
                sigpic
                99 Grand Am GT
                515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• Remember to submerge/soak them in a jug of oil for a day or so when you get them... give them a chance to fill up

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• there gonna be soaking picked up some oil anyway the other day, needed some to do the oil change on the Subaru too. some 5w30 for the GA and 10w30 for the Subaru

plus ill be getting the shaft soon the drive shaft that is for the Subaru 400 bucks for the whole thing with all new hardware and serviceable u-joint and speed balanced.
                    sigpic
                    99 Grand Am GT
                    515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• I was told to not soak them in oil, but to drain them out completely first. This is what the machine shop does to OHC heads that have the lifters in them.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

• they come empty free of oil right.

all ive done in the past was put them in the engine not soaking them and just prime the engine with a drill to fill them up.

so what just put them in and prime it and then go. ive got assembly lube to put on the cam before these go in.
                        sigpic
                        99 Grand Am GT
                        515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                          I was told to not soak them in oil, but to drain them out completely first. This is what the machine shop does to OHC heads that have the lifters in them.
                          Hrm thats odd... do they prime the motor before running it? I've been told to do this every time when we have done a new rebuild on the race motor to prevent loosing a lobe, but obviously thats a little harder on a roller cam.

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• My replacement lifters for my MPFI said on the sheet to NOT soak them in oil and to just install them with some assembly lube on the lobe side and walls of the lifters. Then when engine is running, run the engine at about 2000 rpm's for a few minutes.
                            I forget what brand they were and this was about 4 months back iirc.
                            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

• i planned on lubing the side of the lifters and the part that actually touches the cam quite well.

so what do i just do it like before and prime the engine with the lifters in there.
                              sigpic
                              99 Grand Am GT
                              515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

• Install and run them. Thats it.
                                Ben
                                60DegreeV6.com
                                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                                X