No announcement yet.

Valvetrain noise after cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roller tips have been proven through high speed video recording to not roll, but slide across the top of the stem. A more stable rocker is true, but without increasing the ratio, most people don't care.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by gpse3400 View Post
      These engines make valvetrain noise when you put a cam in with your kind of grind. Its normal. You are moving the the valvetrain pretty hard it is going to make a bunch of noise.
      after i change the fuel pressure and if its still making the noise i snap a quick vid but it seriously sounds like i swapped a diesel in there.

other than that once i stabilize the idle it should be ok to tune right now it would prob be a bitch and i could almost gaurentee it would stall out on me.
      Last edited by geldartb; 04-10-2008, 08:37 AM.
      sigpic
      99 Grand Am GT
      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
      515 515 lift 112 lsa
      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Welcome to the world of big cam PCM tuning. Until you get the tune in order, be prepared for it to stall out alot.
        Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Ben "sappy" is right about the tips, if your geometry is right they don't roll, they kind of just rock back and forth.

I still think you are either way lean or you need to check your clearances again...
          Last edited by powerdoctor; 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM.
          !!!!! BOSCH PLUGS RULE !!!!!
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/powerdoctor

Comment

The flashing CEL means multiple misfires were detected. Check the tune...it'll need to be way different than your stock .bin with that big stick.
            Matt
            2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
            3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

any tips on what to change just to satisfy it right now.
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

You can try taking a scan and making a MAF table adjustment, but that cam may be so big that it just won't idle at anything under 900 - 1000 RPM.
                Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

While I do not know the exact specs of the cam, I have built alot of engines that want to idle between 1900 and 2000 rpm due to poopy vacuum signal.

even indy cars have an idle compensation, thats why if you ever hear them idling they pulse right sroung 2500 rpm...

vrin vrin vrin vrin vrin over and over again.... its not even a steady idle at all...

the lobe lift, duration, seperation all have an effect on vacuum and idle characteristics.

Comment

can you hold it at a high adle and have it run ????

Comment

im uploading a video right now. oh yeah if i hold it steady it will idle all day long. well i brought the fuel pressure down to where its suppose to be so the fueling should be good for now.
                      that was a fun task to keep the car from stalling while i adjusted the fuel pressure, gauge is mounted inside the car.
                      sigpic
                      99 Grand Am GT
                      515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

I'm curious to hear a video too, my valvetrain is much louder with my cam but nor nearly as loud as you make yours sound.
                        SpudFiles
                        Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                        Theopia
                        Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                        3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

30 meg video uploading half way done ill add it in a few
                          Last edited by geldartb; 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM.
                          sigpic
                          99 Grand Am GT
                          515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

adjust your tb till it runs right and force a 1% open refrence in your pcm at that point....

Anyone add to that for me? .....

Comment

Woah Woah Woah!!

NO WAY IN HELL Is this PING... if this is ping then my penis is 15" long... This is a mechanical valve train noise coming from the center/vally of the motor, more aparent on the back side from above though so it may be the rear set of lifters or only a few of them.

NO way in hell is this because of his cam, my cam is bigger than his and my car makes NO such noise and never did on first startup. Hell I even ran my motor around by hand a few times and I'm sure that pushed most of the oil out of my lifters that was in there.

All rockers are tight and there is NO free play in them, I think I would notice something that obvious and you cant get the pushrod location wrong and have the car run without bending a pushrod and f-ing more stuff up.

When we pulled the motor apart, I was able to lift up the tip of 3 or 4 rockers and have them depress the lifter piston a little bit by hand, (enough to gain free play on the tip side) so I was able to push the pluger down... Now thats where I thought this doesn't seem right and the lifters would be at fault because after having full oil pressure and being run they should be rock hard and not be able to be depressed by hand.

I'm at a loss other than lifters on this motor to get it fixed... I'm not sure what else to try...

Brendan if you want I can pull my 60k mile sealed power ones from my 3400 when I get back from Vaca and we can give those a whirl... Just let me know.

Adjust your TB??? WTF your like talking about all these OLD SCHOOL methods for working on cars, especially with pre measured pushrod lengths on preload and such referring to the pedistal trimming.... and remember the idle is controlled ELECTRONICALLY by a IAC, the TPS should have a reference voltage of around .6 volts at 0% throttle... anything higher and the IAC can't keep the idle under control
                              Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Exhaust isn't that loud. The noise is way louder. Shouldn't it sound deeper regardless? That is super loud.
                                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                                Original L82 Longblock
                                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                                X