no start after lim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no start after lim

hey i just did my lower intake and now the grand am won't run?

it's a 1996 3100 v6

ok, now i was driving and she lost power and stalled got it tow'd home and notice coolent was in the oil and intake. she will do the odd little catch when cranking but wont stay going will the aic or tps cause this?. when i was driving i lost all power and couldent go faster then 40 km the engine still sounded good though no screaches just stall.

what are the possibilities(sp?) sensor? has spark and fuel i dont know about compreshion(sp?)
    thanks for your time!
    Ford Guy says to we " keeping up with that General Maintenance as you drive a gm?' I say to him well when you found on road dead tomorrow, I'll be in the next province.

Is it cranking over, there is a good chance that it is done. It does not take long for anti-freeze to take out the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Grand-Am View Post
      Is it cranking over, there is a good chance that it is done. It does not take long for anti-freeze to take out the bearings.
      she cranks and sputters like fires on a couple times but won't catch like

cranks cranks hits hits cranks hits
      Ford Guy says to we " keeping up with that General Maintenance as you drive a gm?' I say to him well when you found on road dead tomorrow, I'll be in the next province.

Comment

engine turns good

Comment

Also back fires in the intake if you hold it to the floor. im gona try one set of coils but i already put a 2 sets on!
          Last edited by Hell_raiser; 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

it could be your orings on your injectors. did you replace them? or could be plugs are bad. could be a leaking uimg. did you replace that also? could be a bad connection to the coil pacs also. just some things in mind hope this helps you some.
            sigpic
            1992 Buick Skylark 2.3L 1996 GrandAm 3100 SFI 1996 Ford E150 Conversion 5.8L

Comment

Did you mess up the location of the coil packs and or wires?
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell_raiser View Post
                ok, now i was driving and she lost power and stalled got it tow'd home and notice coolent was in the oil and intake. she will do the odd little catch when cranking but wont stay going will the aic or tps cause this?. when i was driving i lost all power and couldent go faster then 40 km the engine still sounded good though no screaches just stall.
                You said in your initial post that had problems with it running before you replaced the LIM so you'll have to go back and cover some of the more basic stuff first. The LIM leaking, in and of itself, shouldn't cause it to run poorly until things get very, very bad. If one of your cam bearings got bad enough it could have caused the cam to break and/or caused the cam chain to jump a link or two.

I'd start by pulling those plugs and look at them for consistency and/or moisture. Very basic, but since you had problems before the LIM replacement, you're going to have to start with things that may have been bad earlier. Then, you might want to pull the valve covers off and observe the rockers while someone else is cranking to make sure everything looks OK there. If that's OK, then you can move along to the other things like proper connections on the coils and plugs, etc.

Is there any possibility you could have gotten the pushrods mixed up? The intake and exhaust rods are different lengths.

Good luck.
                Last edited by 2k1Impala; 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM. Reason: Edited for typo.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Impala View Post
                  You said in your initial post that had problems with it running before you replaced the LIM so you'll have to go back and cover some of the more basic stuff first. The LIM leaking, in and of itself, shouldn't cause it to run poorly until things get very, very bad. If one of your cam bearings got bad enough it could have caused the cam to break and/or caused the cam chain to jump a link or two.

I'd start by pulling those plugs and look at them for consistency and/or moisture. Very basic, but since you had problems before the LIM replacement, you're going to have to start with things that may have been bad earlier. Then, you might want to pull the valve covers off and observe the rockers while someone else is cranking to make sure everything looks OK there. If that's OK, then you can move along to the other things like proper connections on the coils and plugs, etc.

Is there any possibility you could have gotten the pushrods mixed up? The intake and exhaust rods are different lengths.

Good luck.
                  The rods should be good as i only did one side at a time and laid them in a row

the engine will try to start like its flooded i pulled 4 plugs and they where soaked with gass. oil got in the intake bad too im thinkin that the aic may be f-d up

tried a maf and map off a 97 cutless

next tps and aic then cam then coolent temp sensor as the motor had little coolent in it

maby a crank sensor also the belt is moving so i doubt the crank is broke

Comment

can some one post the order of fire frount and back

Comment

uimg=upper intake manifold(sp?)

has a new gasket also fuel inkectors where left in as well as fule lines just moved them with the lim

Comment

I sound like a broken record at times but I bet the ignition control has failed.
                        Lorenzo
                        '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                        '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

ignition control is what the coils go on?

Comment

yes ignition control module he is posibly correct
                            sigpic

Comment

coils on icm from paas to drivers side goes 523641
                              spark plug radiator side 246 backside 135
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X